Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall charger [should I keep the wall connector or use mobile connector for my situation?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a 50A circuit, the wall charger will deliver 40A to the Model 3. The 32A limit is only for the mobile charging cord.

Your utility may have a rebate program for some wall chargers. I bought a ChargePoint charger that plugs into the 14-50. With the utility and federal rebates, total net cost was $40.
Interestingly, on Tesla's website, it says the 2023 Model 3 RWD is limited to 32A, no matter what charger is connected as the internal AC/DC converter has only 2x 16A boards and not 3x as with the other models....am I mistaken and could charge higher, in which case a wall charger would make sense again???

Interestingly, on Tesla's website, it says the 2023 Model 3 RWD is limited to 32A, no matter what charger is connected as the internal AC/DC converter has only 2x 16A boards and not 3x as with the other models....am I mistaken and could charge higher, in which case a wall charger would make sense again???
Tesla's website is correct. The RWD(or rather the short range models) will only charge at 32A or less, regardless of L2 charger.

Reactions: Rocky_H and alvitdk
Tesla's website is correct. The RWD(or rather the short range models) will only charge at 32A or less, regardless of L2 charger.
I confirm from personal observation that my October 2022 built model 3 RWD from Fremont has a max charging rate from my gen 3 Wall connector of 32A, whereas my February 2022 built model Y AWD LR has a 48A max on the same charger.

Reactions: alvitdk
Always wondered why they bothered with that configuration, or at least bothered to continue with it. It's not like the battery in the RWD couldn't be charged at 48a. Having to stock two different assemblies seems wasteful and I doubt it does much to differentiate the two models in the eye of the consumer.

Always wondered why they bothered with that configuration, or at least bothered to continue with it. It's not like the battery in the RWD couldn't be charged at 48a. Having to stock two different assemblies seems wasteful and I doubt it does much to differentiate the two models in the eye of the consumer.
Is it two different assemblies, or just installing two versus three of the same part? Two costs less than three, probably by enough to more than offset the increased cost of managing the difference in manufacturing and service logistics.

More unusual in this context are the different 3/Y headlight and taillight assemblies being used simultaneously, even though one type of headlight and one type of taillight could fit all 3/Y bodies.

Is it two different assemblies, or just installing two versus three of the same part? Two costs less than three, probably by enough to more than offset the increased cost of managing the difference in manufacturing and service logistics.

More unusual in this context are the different 3/Y headlight and taillight assemblies being used simultaneously, even though one type of headlight and one type of taillight could fit all 3/Y bodies.
From what I've seen it's two different assemblies. We often talk about "3 boards" but the photos I've seen seem to show three circuits on one board. Which suggests they not only have to have two assemblies, but two different boards manufactured. In any case, I'm know that it's all in a single assembled module.

The tail/headlight thing could be Tesla just wanting the external look to be different.

From what I've seen it's two different assemblies. We often talk about "3 boards" but the photos I've seen seem to show three circuits on one board. Which suggests they not only have to have two assemblies, but two different boards manufactured. In any case, I'm know that it's all in a single assembled module.
I'd wager that its one board that has either two or three sections of components attached. The reason being that high current handling discrete components get very expensive very quickly. I'd wager its $100 or more for each 16A block of components, not having looked at the board at all.

As an example, I recently found the DPST relays used in the Gen3 HPWC for about $75 each. Two in each HPWC, which means they comprise perhaps 1/3 of the >sales price<.

I'd wager that its one board that has either two or three sections of components attached. The reason being that high current handling discrete components get very expensive very quickly. I'd wager its $100 or more for each 16A block of components, not having looked at the board at all.

As an example, I recently found the DPST relays used in the Gen3 HPWC for about $75 each. Two in each HPWC, which means they comprise perhaps 1/3 of the >sales price<.
I'm sure you're right about it being the same board, stuffed differently. You may be right about the cost of the components, although I know one reason the relays you're referring to are expensive is that they're not solid state, they're actual mehanical relays. For some reason I've never been perfectly clear about, solid state relays aren't acceptable for use in an EVSE.