Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall charger, outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know what I’ll need to install a wall charger and do I need to buy from Tesla or 3rd party.
I need to charge car in the garage. Circuit is next to where I’d put it so not too expensive.
I’m confused with wall charger and nema outlets. What’s the difference?
Also what comes with the car- do I need adapters?

NEMA is just a standard for outlet designs. Most homes are equipped with NEMA 5-15 receptacles — just your standard 2-prong + ground household outlet. These are 120V at 15 amps. You can charge a Tesla from this outlet, but it's gonna be sloooow.

A Tesla comes with built-in charger plus a connector kit to bridge between an outlet and the car's port (many people call this device the charger, because it seems like a phone or laptop analog, but it is not... nor does it really matter). The Universal Mobile Connector shipped with every Tesla includes a 5-15 adapter and a NEMA 14-50 adapter.

The NEMA 14-50 plug has traditionally been used for RVs and some very high end kitchen appliances. It outputs 240V at 50 amps. Higher voltage and amperage means a much faster charge.

There are other adapters available, but 5-15 and 14-50 are what's included. You'll also get a J1772 adapter for use with public non-Tesla charge stations (the voltage and amperage of those varies).

If you want to install a Tesla Wall Connector, then you needn't worry so much about plugs, since you can just wire it up directly.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: brkaus and Rocky_H
For overnight charging, a 14-50 outlet is probably the easiest solution. That's what we are using for our new Model X 100D.

If you have access to a 30A dryer outlet, you can buy the appropriate adapter (10-30 or 14-30 from the Tesla store) and use that to charge a little slower than using a 14-50 outlet.

If you only have a standard 110 outlet, it will only charge 2-3 miles per hour - and probably won't be fast enough unless you average driving less than 30-40 miles per day.

You can purchase a High Power Wall Charger and connect it to an 80A or 100A circuit, which will charge much faster. But that's really not needed for overnight charging. The 14-50 outlet, on a 50A circuit should be fast enough - and for many owners, even a 30A circuit may be OK.

Anyone know what I’ll need to install a wall charger and do I need to buy from Tesla or 3rd party.
I need to charge car in the garage. Circuit is next to where I’d put it so not too expensive.
I’m confused with wall charger and nema outlets. What’s the difference?
Also what comes with the car- do I need adapters?
Read the charging pages of the Tesla web site, then come back here with any questions you have.
For starters, anything you use is a Connector, not a Charger. The charger is in the car.

Reactions: P85_DA
As TexasEV indicated, the cord that you use to connect the car to a wall isn't a charger cord, it is a really expensive extension cord.

The cord that some with the car (UMC) is suitable for plugging into many different plugs and may solve all of your issues. If your plug doesn't match the cord, then you may could get one of the adapters for the cable (and other locations).

So you can use the cable, plug in, and charge. If you look at the page with the adapters, you will see a chart indicating how fast each one will charge the car. As you can see, that basic 120V wall plug (5-15) doesn't add that many miles. In 12 hours, only about 36 miles. If that is enough for you, then great. But if it isn't then you need more power. That's when an electrician comes in. The Tesla Wall connector is overkill for most folks, but does make for a pretty installation.

I personally already had a 14-50 plug installed, that I had for my Leaf. I just bought a 2nd mobile UMC and leave one on the wall and one in the car.

The car also includes the J1772 adapter which allows you to charge off of any Level 2 chargers, which are all over the place. www.plugshare.com.

The Tesla plug is unique to Tesla, so if you have or are thinking of any other EV, then the Tesla Wall Connector may not be the best alternative.

I agree you don’t need a HPWC - it is quite convenient. I have one and even the convenience of the form factor (mounted nicely with a place to hang wand) as well as additional amps makes it pretty nice. If you can swing a HPWC I would do it. Sure you’ll be charged in an hour or so usually but there will be a time I would expect when it’ll more than come in handy.

I agree you don’t need a HPWC - it is quite convenient. I have one and even the convenience of the form factor (mounted nicely with a place to hang wand) as well as additional amps makes it pretty nice. If you can swing a HPWC I would do it. Sure you’ll be charged in an hour or so usually but there will be a time I would expect when it’ll more than come in handy.
Is the max 48amps on it?

Is the max 48amps on it?

Depends on
-what size circuit you connecting to
-what charger u have in ur car .....

The Gen2UMC is max 32a in a 40a circuit

The HPWC in a 100a circuit with an older model S with dual chargers can go up to 80a

What car , wall connector and circuit are you setup with ?

For your onboard charger it’s around $2k to add the second one giving you 80a capability only Tesla can install ...for the wall connector any electrician should be able to do ...if you are planning on not upgrading to dual chargers ..probably more cost effective just get a 14-50 plug and use ur UMC that comes with car and do 40a charging

For your onboard charger it’s around $2k to add the second one giving you 80a capability only Tesla can install ...for the wall connector any electrician should be able to do ...if you are planning on not upgrading to dual chargers ..probably more cost effective just get a 14-50 plug and use ur UMC that comes with car and do 40a charging
So without dual chargers it’s not even worth getting the Tesla charger?
My electrician is charging me $120 for the labor

Just about a year ago I bought a 2014 P85 with dual chargers.
I have noticed my Gen 1 UMC capable of 40amps the plug to the car is getting warm even on the 30amp circuit I have it on, have done some cleaning still getting warmer than destination chargers do at 72amps. I suspect it is a combination of wear and some more dirt, car has 75k miles on it, that is a lot of charging. Buy a used car and you can presume the UMC is used too.

I believe having a backup plan for charging is prudent. Which left be deciding I could spring for a $300 Gen 2 UMC which is limited to 32amps and 4wires for a 14-50, or run 3 larger wires for the same money and spend $500 on a HPWC and for the same wiring cost get probably 60amp feed. Yes there is an outlet that will give 50amps with three wires but then you buy an adapter so depending on wire length probably wouldn't save much.

If you stop and thing about it the price difference of $200 UMC to HPWC is pretty small and if comparing to a 14-50 will get you 40amps for a single charger car more vs. 32 on the same wire and breaker and saves the cost of the outlet which aren't cheap if you go with the heavy duty Hubbell or an outdoor rated one so the price difference shrinks to less than $200.

Yes 40amps is more than most of us need to replenish our daily use, but there is always the "one time" where you need more faster, or maybe you can avoid some wear and tear by charging every other day.

My new HPWC is sitting in the garage, wish I hadn't waited 11months to buy it.

I would save the 40amp gen 1 UMC as the newer ones are lower capacity, come up with a redundancy plan, if second UMC use the new Gen 2 daily or just do like I made a case for and go with the HPWC