Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger with Nema 5-15

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like ksb467's suggestion above, it depends on your driving habits. If you can get enough range out of your 5-15 every night then this should work for you with just the mobile connector.

I have a short commute and can charge free at my gym so normally I just plug into my garage NEMA 5-20 with the mobile connector and leave it plugged in there all the time. I only take the mobile connector with me when we go on a long road trip or stay at an Airbnb or something.

Only place I’ve used my mobile connector is home and at relatives house. I use the J1772 adapter or Superchargers when away from home.

some folks may have more need to take with, but I wouldn’t start by spending the money.

Fellow newb here - only had my SR+ for 11 days. I have a 45 mile RT daily commute and until a couple of days ago only had my home 120V charging available (every time I check the Tesla app I am seeing 6 MPH charging). So far this seems to be keeping up with my needs and I leave the mobile connector plugged in at home (excepting for Friday when they installed a 14-50 Nema at work for me and we wanted to make sure it worked okay).

Just picked up my car yesterday and pretty excited. I drove much more than usual (down from 89% to 42%), charged when I was home, and left this morning with 73%, so I'm generally not too worried about charging.

I've been looking a bit more, I do have a NEMA 10-30 just inside the garage currently used by the dryer. This won't be my usual method of charging, but I was wondering if, when I needed a faster charge, I could use a Y splitter similar to this, or whether that wouldn't be safe enough and I really need to use a Dryer Buddy:

https://www.amazon.com/Parkworld-886580-Splitter-Receptacle-3-Prong/dp/B07MW8DG5D/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=nema+10-30+y+splitter&qid=1567344259&s=gateway&sr=8-3&th=1

I would still need to purchase the adapter from Tesla, but that combined with the splitter seems much easier to deal with than installing a DryerBuddy.
I would highly recommend against that setup. It will work, the problem is if someone accidentally turns on the dryer while charging you will have problems. Hopefully just a tripped breaker but still isn't a recommended solution.

Also, efficiency charging at 240V is better than 120V so ideally you would always want to charge at 240V if that is an option.