Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector: Inside vs Outside?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kmrnt

LR: White/Black/19” - DD 4/20
Mar 18, 2024
miami
Hey everyone —

Electrician is coming by today or tomorrow to install the wall connector.

I live in Miami where we get beat down by heavy rain and the sun.

I don’t mind sneaking the cable under garage door when needed, but much prefer having it outside.

Has anyone seen any risk in keeping it outside? (Weather risk only, not crime) This thing looks pretty solid / sealed but I’m still on the fence…

Hey everyone —

Electrician is coming by today or tomorrow to install the wall connector.

I live in Miami where we get beat down by heavy rain and the sun.

I don’t mind sneaking the cable under garage door when needed, but much prefer having it outside.

Has anyone seen any risk in keeping it outside? (Weather risk only, not crime) This thing looks pretty solid / sealed but I’m still on the fence…

Local store in Sarasota Florida has multiple Wall Connectors in the mall parking lot for years that they use to charge their demo cars.

I mounted the one at our cabin in Ft Drum, Florida outside. The only concern I would have is with a hurricane. The cable could be an issue if the wind thrashed it about. I would remove the charger is there was a hurricane warning.

At our house at in Sarasota area I have it in the garage. But we park our 2 Teslas in the garage. For our Ford Lightning EV Truck I park it in the driveway and just run the cable under the garage door to the truck.

As you know, anything, no matter how sturdy will last longer if NOT exposed to the elements. The Wall Connector is designed to be outdoors and will last, however, it will probably last longer if not outdoors.

My take on it is that I'd rather face replacing the WC a little sooner rather than snake cords under the door. Another option, if that bothers you, would be to provide the outdoor installation with a little shade. A small awning, perhaps?

Reactions: kmrnt