Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector Location, Seeking Feedback

Where should I mount my WC? Front facing or on siding?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People keep throwing around the word "better", but that's not the right word. This isn't really a "better" or "worse" kind of thing. The wall connector is a variable setting kind of device. You can choose to install and configure it on many levels of circuit, like 20A, 30A, 40A, 50A, or 60A. You pick one, and you do the wire, the circuit breaker, and the wall connector setting all on that. (with the aforementioned current being 80% of the circuit rating) The word is "appropriate", not "better".

In your case, I'd recommend Position 2 and add an awning over it. The wall charger has strobing green lights when charging, so it stands out if it faced the street. I also told my wall charger to only charge my VIN.

Here is a photo where I have my Gen 3 wall charger with the 24-foot cable; tucked inside my front covered stoop (I'm standing at the front door taking the photo). The cable is also long enough to reach over to my wife's car (once she upgrades to a Tesla). In the spring/summer/fall my wife puts flowers in the planters (there is a matching planter off-screen to the right). The brown stick in the planter holding my cable is to keep from damaging her flowers. :)

1650162461524.png

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

Reactions: JimBob 909
In your case, I'd recommend Position 2 and add an awning over it. The wall charger has strobing green lights when charging, so it stands out if it faced the street. I also told my wall charger to only charge my VIN.

Here is a photo where I have my Gen 3 wall charger with the 24-foot cable; tucked inside my front covered stoop (I'm standing at the front door taking the photo). The cable is also long enough to reach over to my wife's car (once she upgrades to a Tesla). In the spring/summer/fall my wife puts flowers in the planters (there is a matching planter off-screen to the right). The brown stick in the planter holding my cable is to keep from damaging her flowers. :)

View attachment 794454

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021
Now that you mention the strobing lights, I could easily see that being SW selectable some day. Maybe an optional full-dark mode except for the first 20 seconds after plugging in.