Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector habits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are some YouTube videos about a study made by a university researcher that claims multiple “shallow” charge cycles have less degradation than fewer deeper charge cycles.

Something like charging/discharging 10% everyday has less effect than 70% once a week.

Though they also say the difference is pretty insignificant.

Personally, I treat this the same as which state of charge to hit. 50% vs 80% isn’t that significant to me. Or rather, I haven’t seen anything that has definitively convinced me.

My current habit is to charge up to 75% (3/4 is just easier on my imagination than 4/5) and plug in every night. Though I have only basic level 1 charging, so it’s effectively the only way I can go. I plug in long enough to recoup about 25-30%, which is how much I use on an average day. I’ll use a supercharger if necessary (three times so far, in the year I’ve owned my MYP).

From reading numerous posts by @AAKEE , I have set my limit to 55%. If I do an errand in town I'll plug when i get home. Even if the car is only down 2%. I never leave the car plugged in. If I need to go to Los Angeles, I'll charge just before leaving to 85% which is good for round trip. Then charge when I get home to 55%.

Thank you for calling it a wall connector. Most people erroneously call it a wall charger.

Reactions: AAKEE
Thank you guys for your posts I appreciate it.
On another note I also own a Toyota Tacoma since at the time my daughter had graduated college and moved into a apartment as well as helping her move she needed a dependable vehicle to start her new job. I belong to tacomaworld.com a online forum as well, I have posted a few questions on that forum since I wasn’t very familiar with it when I bought it, long story short the replies and posts on teslamotorclub are pleasant and well informed in comparison.

There are some YouTube videos about a study made by a university researcher that claims multiple “shallow” charge cycles have less degradation than fewer deeper charge cycles.

Something like charging/discharging 10% everyday has less effect than 70% once a week.
Yes, smaller cycles wear less.

Cyclew are often counted in Full Cycle Equivalent (FCE), meaning 1 FCE = the amount of cycles needed to reach 100%.
Thats two 50% cycles or ten 10% cycles.

With FCE we can directly se which is better, the higher FCE number for a ceetain degradation the less degradation per mile.

But cycles are such little part of the degradation that we do not need to adjust for that as calendar aging causes about 10 times the degradation versus cycles early in the battery life.
Though they also say the difference is pretty insignificant.

Personally, I treat this the same as which state of charge to hit. 50% vs 80% isn’t that significant to me. Or rather, I haven’t seen anything that has definitively convinced me.
You havent looked that deep inte the facts then. There’s no need to though, if you’re happy with standard degradation rate.

My current habit is to charge up to 75% (3/4 is just easier on my imagination than 4/5) and plug in every night. Though I have only basic level 1 charging, so it’s effectively the only way I can go. I plug in long enough to recoup about 25-30%, which is how much I use on an average day. I’ll use a supercharger if necessary (three times so far, in the year I’ve owned my MYP).

Thank you guys for your posts I appreciate it.
On another note I also own a Toyota Tacoma since at the time my daughter had graduated college and moved into an apartment as well as helping her move she needed a dependable vehicle to start her new job. I belong to tacomaworld.com a online forum as well, I have posted a few questions on that forum since I wasn’t very familiar with it when I bought it, long story short the replies and posts on teslamotorclub are pleasant and well informed in comparison.
Oh, I’m sure the ones that will piss you off will show up sooner or later. I know they have for me. I just try my best to ignore them on any forum.

You havent looked that deep inte the facts then. There’s no need to though, if you’re happy with standard degradation rate.
Considering most post, like yours, are more anecdotal. Very few if any link to actual case studies (not just random forums of people using EVs). And even those don’t say thing more than what I’ve already said, it’s not significant.

What is it you even claim is “standard degradation?”