Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall connector standby current draw

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 14-50 wall connector and I noticed the electronic box stays warm while not connected to the car. It measures 12 deg. F above ambient. I'm wondering how much power I am wasting by leaving it plugged in. Does anyone know the rated standby power?

Do you have a "kill-a-watt" or other power monitoring tool for a 120V plug? If so, just plug it in that using the 5-15 adapter. The idle draw of the mobile connector should be the same whatever the plug...
I measured the current at 120 volts and it was about 5 watts. It gets hotter when plugged into 240 volts so I assume it is using more power.

Ah, ok... technically a circuit that doesn't deliver power shouldn't have any loss, I think. The internal "intelligence" should always consume roughly the same power. Based on assumptions and whatever I learned over the years, but I'm not an electrical engineer. maybe there is more loss when the internal circuitry is powered by 240V instead of 120? I would still assume it's close... if you leave it as long plugged in 120V vs 240V, does it get marginally hotter or a lot hotter?