Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swap Tesla 3rd Gen Wall Connector and Universal Wall Connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have this Tesla Wall Connector and I’m wondering if I can take the faceplate off and swap it with the Tesla Universal Wall Connector?

It looks like they sell this separately for the 3rd Gen Wall Connector which is what I already have…but it’s unclear if it works with the Universal Wall Connector?

I’d still leave the piece that’s connected to the wall and the existing wiring…just wondering if this can be swapped without an issue?

Last edited:
I have this Tesla Wall Connector and I’m wondering if I can take the faceplate off and swap it with the Tesla Universal Wall Connector?

It looks like they sell this separately for the 3rd Gen Wall Connector which is what I already have…but it’s unclear if it works with the Universal Wall Connector?

I’d still leave the piece that’s connected to the wall and the existing wiring…just wondering if this can be swapped without an issue?

I'd wager they both use the same backplate, but I'd suggest you ask Tesla that question.

I know at least one person posted here with issues when he tried to swap plates between a regular Gen3 and a J1772 Gen3. They looked the same and he was able to attach the wall connector, but charging wouldn't work. Could have been manufacturing tolerances, or they might really have been incompatible in some way.