Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want to view map metadata

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Fairbanks Alaska and got my mod 3 April 2020.
Teslas are thin here so database is thin. I have seen it learn where a number of stop signs are. It thinks that the speed limit on Goldstream road is 45 mph. It is in fact 55 mph. When it sees a speed sign it will allow the car to go 55, but any glitch in this new knowledge sends it back to 45.
I am looking for an app that lets me see these metedata elements.
And, I have heard of an ability to note a FSD complication, and send a report to the Tesla hive mind for analysis.
Does this ring any bells.
Thanks for the help.

I live in Fairbanks Alaska and got my mod 3 April 2020.
Teslas are thin here so database is thin. I have seen it learn where a number of stop signs are. It thinks that the speed limit on Goldstream road is 45 mph. It is in fact 55 mph. When it sees a speed sign it will allow the car to go 55, but any glitch in this new knowledge sends it back to 45.
I am looking for an app that lets me see these metedata elements.

There isn't one.

I li
And, I have heard of an ability to note a FSD complication, and send a report to the Tesla hive mind for analysis.
Does this ring any bells.
Thanks for the help.

The very few people on the new beta drives-in-cities FSD software get a specific on-screen button to report issues.

For everyone else there's no way to do this... (the normal bug report feature in normal software is not sent to Tesla- it remains local to the car and a service center can access it if you open a service ticket for a problem with your car, but that's it)

Reactions: android04
Shame there's no way to report issues. Some person stuck up a realistic 15mph sign next to their house, and whatever robomapping service Tesla uses, picked it up, so that when you pass, the speed limit drops from 40mph to 15mph.

Of course it's fake since there are no 15mph zones, that aren't schools or firehouses, and that requires a flashing yellow light, when active, in my state. Nor is there a 15mph sign on the other side of the street. Just some random person sticking up a sign. Would love to get it corrected. I suppose I could go into the town office and complain.

Reactions: akenham
...I have seen it learn where a number of stop signs are.....
Your car does NOT learn. The neural net gets aggregate data from the fleet and the neural net learns and then applies this to the fleet, but individual cars don't. Is so then some Tesla's would end up FSD driving better than others and the discrepancy would grow over time as some got to be "smarter/better" drivers and others stayed "dumb/bad" drivers.

Last edited:
If people could easily submit or make changes to the map data and things like speed limits on roads, it doesnt take much imagination at all to see where that would ultimately end up.

With many people still having a desire to see tesla fail (for finances or otherwise), someone /someones WOULD submit false data in an attempt to make tesla cars have an issue. It absolutely 10000% would happen, by many people in fact. Some would be accidental or a selfish desire to see a "different" speed limit on their road.

For example, like @KenC mentioned, that person put up a fake 15MPH speed limit in front of their home because they are annoyed at the speed that people are driving in front of their house. If the speed limit in front of their home is 40 MPH, then its likely people drive 40-50mph in front of their home. They took matters into their own hands and (illegally) put up a fake speed limit sign that somehow got uploaded into the database.

Multiply that by like 1000, if end users had a "easy" way to submit changes to this data. That doesnt even cover less selfish / more nefarious uses of changing data in some system like that. An entire department would have to vet these user submitted changes for validity, etc.

Or, you dont let users submit changes directly and you update however other mapping systems update.

You're not going to see what the car sees unless you root it but that isn't going to happen easily.

The only way to "help" your experience is to correct your roads via OpenStreetMap OpenStreetMap

Tesla uses Google Maps and OpenStreetMap data. If you send me a pin on Google Maps and what the issue is I'll make the adjustment.

Last edited:
You're not going to see what the car sees unless you root it but that isn't going to happen easily.

The only way to "help" your experience is to correct your roads via OpenStreetMap OpenStreetMap

Tesla uses Google Maps and OpenStreetMap data. If you send me a pin on Google Maps and what the issue is I'll make the adjustment.

Fixing OpenStreet maps seems to work, but it takes months. I’ve fixed a couple roads near me with some using Google maps ( limited success) and others with openstreets maps. The learning curve took me awhile, but openstreets seems to work best in the three to six month timeframe...

sad but somewhat true...

Fixing OpenStreet maps seems to work, but it takes months. I’ve fixed a couple roads near me with some using Google maps ( limited success) and others with openstreets maps. The learning curve took me awhile, but openstreets seems to work best in the three to six month timeframe...

sad but somewhat true...

Yup, no way to make a quick fix but it helps more than just our cars. I got into OSM because Tesla used some of it for Summon which I really liked using during the lockdown.

I've used OSM to fix some parking lots that I regularly use, mostly hospitals, where I need to bring the car to the curb to help pick up my 92yr old wheelchair bound mom, but I don't recall seeing how to update speed limit signs on regular roads.

Okay, just went to OSM, and added the correct posted speed limit to the road in question. Will see if it ever updates.

Last edited:
I've used OSM to fix some parking lots that I regularly use, mostly hospitals, where I need to bring the car to the curb to help pick up my 92yr old wheelchair bound mom, but I don't recall seeing how to update speed limit signs on regular roads.

Okay, just went to OSM, and added the correct posted speed limit to the road in question. Will see if it ever updates.

You can use Mapillary for actual "street view" to see the signs around the area you want. To enable it on OSM it's on the right hand side, Map Data>Photo Overlays>select Mapillary.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
You can use Mapillary for actual "street view" to see the signs around the area you want. To enable it on OSM it's on the right hand side, Map Data>Photo Overlays>select Mapillary.
Thanks!
Here's the spurious 15mph speed limit sign, which is crooked, and facing the other direction towards traffic. It does not show up on the map. Yes, it's right in front of a house, right next to the road, and wedged between the road and a lake, so I can imagine they want traffic to slow.
by default 2021-01-10 at 9.50.58 PM.jpg

When I pass it on TACC, the car slows to 20mph from 45mph. Annoying.

Last edited:
Yeah I've got some sections like that here in Vegas. I've made updates as I remember them and some have made a difference and others haven't. You could contact the city for getting that sign fixed though.

Here I deal with a 45MPH section then the school zone has the lights over the road and a 15MPH sign. I sometimes use AP on city streets (FSD non-beta). The cars likes to slow a good bit prior then just never gets back up to speed even if I push the pedal it doesn't stay back at 45MPH so I've got to cancel AP all together.
Screenshot (4).png

• Informative
Thanks!
Here's the spurious 15mph speed limit sign, which is crooked, and facing the other direction towards traffic. It does not show up on the map. Yes, it's right in front of a house, right next to the road, and wedged between the road and a lake, so I can imagine they want traffic to slow.
View attachment 626562
When I pass it on TACC, the car slows to 20mph from 45mph. Annoying.
Either take it down yourself or report it to the town.

• Funny
I'm curious about two things on this topic. 1) I don't have FSD or hardware 3.0 only EAP and hardware 2.5. Does my car recognize the speed limit signs?

2). After the most recent map update one of my daily commute roads now has the speed limit set incorrectly at 45mph. It was correct before the update at 55mph. One thing I noticed, which I hadn't before is that the road has no posted speed limit. Which in my state if the road doesn't have a posted speed limit it is 55mph.

Lastly I've had this issue on another road but it has a posted speed limit so it leads me to believe that my car doesn't recognize speed limit signs.

I'm curious about two things on this topic. 1) I don't have FSD or hardware 3.0 only EAP and hardware 2.5. Does my car recognize the speed limit signs?

No. It didn’t when I had HW2.5.
Teslas update. It might now, but I haven’t read anyone saying it does and your tests seem to say it still doesn’t.

2). After the most recent map update one of my daily commute roads now has the speed limit set incorrectly at 45mph. It was correct before the update at 55mph. One thing I noticed, which I hadn't before is that the road has no posted speed limit. Which in my state if the road doesn't have a posted speed limit it is 55mph.

Lastly I've had this issue on another road but it has a posted speed limit so it leads me to believe that my car doesn't recognize speed limit signs.

Unposted speed limits can vary. If the number of driveways in a mile increases above a state defined number, the default speed limit can be less. You likely won’t get a ticket, but Google maps may change their speed limits. That affects the Tesla Autopilot with the speed limit dropping as you have noticed.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
@Thp3

Thanks for the response, I don't think this section of road would have a reduced speed limit due to driveways as its about a 10 mile stretch in the country with few driveways. Also I've gotten a ticket on this road in the past for exceeding the speed limit of 55mph.

I submitted an update to openstreet maps so we will see if it eventually has any impact.