Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Wanted (WTB) and For Trade (WTT) listings should now be posted in one of the Marketplace categories. To post a WTB or WTT trade thread, please click here, then choose the category most appropriate for your listing, and then select the appropriate listing type.

WANTED - 21" Grey Turbines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey there.. I live in NorCal and just bought a 70D with 21" Grey Turbines. I kind of want to take my Tesla up to the mountains to go skiing this winter and am thinking that 19" wheels might be better. I'd consider selling them to you. They are in good shape.

Thanks for the message. Congratulations on your purchase. I will be picking up a CPO P85 from Fremont this month and have decided to give the Aero wheels that will come with the car a try before I switch them out.

In case it helps you, here is a little research that I have done regarding your wheels.
1) If I purchased factory 21" grey turbines, I believe a fair price would be $1,400 for the wheels only. Tires and sensors would certainly add value. There are multiple listings on Ebay and they would come refinished, looking perfect. Sometimes these listings are available for under $300/wheel.
2) After some research, I have decided that I would prefer 20" wheels so that I have many more tire options and less risk of pothole damage or curb rash. The TSportline 20" grey turbines are exact replicas of the factory wheels and cost $2,000 for a square set.

TST 20" Tesla Model S Wheel

Don't know if that helps but good luck. Sounds like you have a fantastic car.

Bryan

Thanks for the message. Congratulations on your purchase. I will be picking up a CPO P85 from Fremont this month and have decided to give the Aero wheels that will come with the car a try before I switch them out.

In case it helps you, here is a little research that I have done regarding your wheels.
1) If I purchased factory 21" grey turbines, I believe a fair price would be $1,400 for the wheels only. Tires and sensors would certainly add value. There are multiple listings on Ebay and they would come refinished, looking perfect. Sometimes these listings are available for under $300/wheel.
2) After some research, I have decided that I would prefer 20" wheels so that I have many more tire options and less risk of pothole damage or curb rash. The TSportline 20" grey turbines are exact replicas of the factory wheels and cost $2,000 for a square set.

TST 20" Tesla Model S Wheel

Don't know if that helps but good luck. Sounds like you have a fantastic car.

Bryan
What do you think of the TST 19" wheels?

TST Tesla Aftermarket Wheel 19x8.5 - T Sportline

Just had the TST 20" wheels installed two days ago, machine grey with Michelin Super Sport tires. Love the look and drive. They are a shade lighter than the factory 21" wheels but I like them.

Cons:
- Tesla won't do alignments with third party tires at service center (Many options available. I won't buy my tires from TSLA anyway.)
- Price of about $2,000 was higher than a used pair of reconditioned factory wheels on Ebay for about $1,400

Pros
- Much less worry about pothole damage. In addition to comments at TMC, I have talked to people at supercharger stations that have had to buy new wheels and tires and get towed after hitting a pothole with the short sidewalls of 21" wheels.
- Greater tire selection with 20" wheels. Especially if you don't have a rear wheel drive only P, the Perelli P7 tire is a very economical option. Over 5 years, I think I will save several times the price differential between the TST and factory wheels when buying tires.
- I think they look proportional

Good luck with your decision.

Attachments

• IMG_9304.JPG
    IMG_9304.JPG
    553 KB · Views: 118
Just had the TST 20" wheels installed two days ago, machine grey with Michelin Super Sport tires. Love the look and drive. They are a shade lighter than the factory 21" wheels but I like them.

Cons:
- Tesla won't do alignments with third party tires at service center (Many options available. I won't buy my tires from TSLA anyway.)
- Price of about $2,000 was higher than a used pair of reconditioned factory wheels on Ebay for about $1,400

Pros
- Much less worry about pothole damage. In addition to comments at TMC, I have talked to people at supercharger stations that have had to buy new wheels and tires and get towed after hitting a pothole with the short sidewalls of 21" wheels.
- Greater tire selection with 20" wheels. Especially if you don't have a rear wheel drive only P, the Perelli P7 tire is a very economical option. Over 5 years, I think I will save several times the price differential between the TST and factory wheels when buying tires.
- I think they look proportional

Good luck with your decision.

Those wheels look great! Thanks for sharing your research.

I spent a while doing research and finally pulled the trigger on TST 20" wheels. I'm still researching tire options, but will probably go with Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 all seasons. Lots of people like the summer tires, but I think all seasons work well for me.

Reactions: jbini1
Mostly appearance. The 19" rims look too small for the car in my opinion. TST started making the 20" recently due to feedback from others who also seemed to want to find that middle ground between the 19 and 21" options.

Hi P85, are you keeping a spare TST 20" or what are your plans for a flat, if the unthinkable should happen? As I understand it, with aftermarkets Roadside Assistance would only provide me a tow to a specified tire co, vs them delivering wheels directly to the roadside, installing and getting me on my way. asap. Thank you.

Sorry for the slow reply. Been traveling.

No, I didn't purchase an extra wheel/tire. I have read that one will fit in the fronk if you have a car without all wheel drive. Also, some people suggest purchasing an extra wheel to prepare for a situation where you ruin a wheel and that type of wheel is no longer in production. Seems like TST will have a market for these wheels and the number of Tesla cars on the road is growing so I am comfortable not protecting myself from this situation.

I am hoping that the extra tire sidewall compared to having factory 21" wheels will help protect the wheel from damage. I don't hear much about road hazard damage to 19" inch wheels.

In the event of a flat, I would need to get towed to a tire store to repair or purchase a tire. The 20" Michelin tires I am using were in stock at my tire store and I have heard that 20" tires are a more common size. Therefore, I would hope that if it came to purchasing a new tire, it wouldn't be difficult. I also have a Slime/tire repair kit in the fronk for emergencies.. This is a downside to having 20" wheels. Maybe the model 3 will come with comparably sized 20" wheels and Tesla will be better prepared to render assistance in the future:)

Good luck with your decision. BTW - Is your dog a German Short-hair Pointer? Looks a little smaller but resembles our dog.

Sorry for the slow reply. Been traveling.
Good luck with your decision. BTW - Is your dog a German Short-hair Pointer? Looks a little smaller but resembles our dog.

No problem and thanks for getting back. In the meantime, I jinxed myself and blew 2 sidewalls in a sink hole. Within 20 mins, 2 matching wheels were delivered/installed and I was on my way......unlike the beemer that hit the sinker shortly before me still waiting for his assistance.

I've been thinking about after-markets but not so sure anymore. The Tesla service I received was priceless......to bad the replacement costs weren't!

Yes, she is a GSP and was about 6 months old in the pic. Looks like we are both lucky enough to have beach access, which has been a blessing for burning off that endless GSP energy. :eek:

Thanks again for the insight.

That is a crazy story. I have met people in So. CA that have ruined 21" wheels and tires in potholes. What the heck is a sink hole. Don't those sometimes swallow entire houses. You live in LA... is that short for Louisiana?

I wonder if having a little more sidewall with 20" or 19" wheels would have saved your wheels. Considering Tesla's wheel pricing, I might have been tempted to have the car towed to a tire store and purchase refinished 21" factory wheels on Ebay for $300 - 350 ea. However, that would have required waiting a number of days for delivery.

BTW - if at some point you decide to purchase TST wheels, I picked mine up in Downy and saved the shipping. If I ever need a new wheel, I think I could get it quickly.

Wishing you smooth roads ahead.

That is a crazy story. I have met people in So. CA that have ruined 21" wheels and tires in potholes. What the heck is a sink hole. Don't those sometimes swallow entire houses. You live in LA... is that short for Louisiana. Wishing you smooth roads ahead.

Haha I called it a sinker because the road was so damn smooth and the hole appeared to be a structural flaw...it was maybe 3 foot square and freshly collapsed. Referring to it as an ugly, ragged, pot hole was degrading. Lol. My tires had 2-3" sidewall splits and dropped to 19psi in seconds. It's tough to know if anything could have handled it.

I've since picked up a set of lightly used 21s as a contingency but was looking at the TSTs again today. Those 20" wheels look amazing. The location in Downey certainly benefits us,....I'd do the pick up too. Wishing you smooth driving ahead as well.