Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wanting to buy Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All I can tell you is my P car is definitely sports suspension. You feel the road. A bit too much at times. I wish there was a way to soften the ride but there isn't. Oh well. I'm getting used to it.

This is what I keep reading on most reviews. I think the best option for me will be a "regular" 85D.

Initially I was set on the facelift because it looks pretty, so I was looking for newer 75Ds but I keep hearing how utterly bad the facelift headlights are. In the end a 2015/2016 85D will be the winner... unless something else comes up which I haven't heard about.

This is what I keep reading on most reviews. I think the best option for me will be a "regular" 85D.

Initially I was set on the facelift because it looks pretty, so I was looking for newer 75Ds but I keep hearing how utterly bad the facelift headlights are. In the end a 2015/2016 85D will be the winner... unless something else comes up which I haven't heard about.
I have no problems with the Unplugged Performance facelift. Looks great. But then I had UP do the install. You can have a local shop do the work but I hear sometimes there are problems. Just gotta follow the directions, ya know?

I have no problems with the Unplugged Performance facelift. Looks great. But then I had UP do the install. You can have a local shop do the work but I hear sometimes there are problems. Just gotta follow the directions, ya know?

That's a viable option too and I'd have no problems with the installation but I do have some objection on their pricing... $3k for a plastic bumper seems... a lot.

Let's see what I end up with, I keep refreshing Tesla's used cars list and I think I'm close to deciding. There are a couple on my short list again but I need to play price chicken for a little while longer...

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
That's a viable option too and I'd have no problems with the installation but I do have some objection on their pricing... $3k for a plastic bumper seems... a lot.

Let's see what I end up with, I keep refreshing Tesla's used cars list and I think I'm close to deciding. There are a couple on my short list again but I need to play price chicken for a little while longer...
It is a lot but there was a lot of research and engineering that went into them, plus mold building, etc. I don't think they are unreasonably priced. And they are targeted to a continually shrinking customer base. I imagine at some point they will quit offering them.

Reactions: cucubits
I noticed something odd... one of the cars I was following from Tesla, disappeared about a week ago (the price kept going down at that point daily a few hundred $, as usually). I thought it had sold so that was it but now, after 8 days, it popped back with a slightly lower price. If Tesla pulls the cars they usually pop back up with way higher prices.

Would this mean it was reserved and the buyer didn't go through? Is there a chance he got the car in under 8 days, refused delivery and it's already back for sale? Should I be worried or something like this is still ok to pursue?

New predicament!
One of the S-es I'm following has a pic with Hawaii plates.

It's been for sale for a very long time now with the price going down/up as usually.

Of course I can't drive it home but is it still worth following (current price is way too high compared to what it was not long ago)?
Will Tesla actually ship it to the continent for 2k? Any ideas how long that would take?

Just because it has Hawaiian plates doesn't mean it's in Hawaii. It obviously could be there. I believe someone else posted there is a way to discover the actual location of the car without paying money by clicking the inquiry link.

Happy hunting and let us know how it goes!

I was also posting about that request callback to find the current location but for now, at least for this car there's complete radio silence.
They usually used to send that automated reply in under 24 hours.

Trouble is the inventory seems to be dwindling down (for the color I'm looking for). About a month ago I had at least 5-6 on my shortlist but now there's only one left. Not complaining, I'm patient. I could've chosen one already but I really wanted to see the prices go down a few more $k before jumping in. I still hope to get one before the end of the year. It'd be awesome to get a Model S under the Christmas tree :)

Yes, the 4 year/50k miles warranty from Tesla is way more valuable compared to free supercharging from private sellers.
What I don't understand is how can most sellers ask such insane prices for cars with very little warranty left, some even higher than what Tesla sells the used cars.
I think many have depreciation remorse and are too stubborn to list it in real world asking prices.

I was also posting about that request callback to find the current location but for now, at least for this car there's complete radio silence.
They usually used to send that automated reply in under 24 hours.

Trouble is the inventory seems to be dwindling down (for the color I'm looking for). About a month ago I had at least 5-6 on my shortlist but now there's only one left. Not complaining, I'm patient. I could've chosen one already but I really wanted to see the prices go down a few more $k before jumping in. I still hope to get one before the end of the year. It'd be awesome to get a Model S under the Christmas tree :)

Well shoot. Right after I posted this, I got the email about that car. Looks like it's off my list :(

"VIN: 5YJSA1E25FF114687 located in Hawaii *Please Note: This vehicle is only for Hawaii Residents, only Hawaii residents can purchase vehicles in Hawaii due to title and registration issues*"

I could say they're not playing fair in this case since the website ad does say the usual text that they'll ship it to any conti US location for $2k...

I won't. I'll keep my eyes open for other cars. After all, it should be a good time for this since end of 2016 leases should be up. On the other hand, probably Tesla is not putting them all up for sale very quickly...

Sort of related question:

How much harsher is the ride quality in a P car vs non P? I'm thinking about a P85D vs 75/85D (both with air suspension).

Is there a difference?
I’ve got an 85D with standard suspension and 19 inch wheels, and I would take my car over any of the P85D’s with air suspension and larger wheels that I’ve had as service loaners. My car is so much smoother, tighter feeling and still faster than I ever need.

How much should "Tesla miles" be worth when looking at a used Model S for sale from Tesla. I know their prices are all over the place so I'm having a hard time with this.

Here's the thing: same specs, same year, one 20k miles and one 50k miles. Not going into details yet just want to hear some opinions on what the difference should be.

From a very simple point of view take the list price of the car that you are looking at, and divide by 100,000. This will give you the straight line depreciation for the car to 100K miles. The error gets much larger out near 100K but in the 20 to 50 k mile range should be a reasonable guess.

As a separate way to approach this is to go to nadaguides and price each car. They do a mileage adjustment and show their math so it would be a simple way

• Helpful
I'm wondering if all tesla used sales advisors are this useless and slow to reply. With good deals going away very quickly, how am I supposed to ask a few question when they either don't reply at all or take 3-4 days and then get back to me with a half-assed answer which maybe has just a little to do with what I asked... :confused:

I tried to talk to a different one suggested by a member here, but the first thing he did was add my initial *slow* advisor to the email and passed me back to him.

Depends on the state you are buying the car in. If you buy the car from a dealer in CA, then yes I would expect to pay tax twice. For other states, do your research. I live in Illinois and have never paid tax twice when buying a car out of state.