Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty - does anyone have their warranty terms from 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to the Warranty doc. it only needs to be in an accident and (demonstrably) damaged and the warranty is void. You would need the insurer to give written notice (preferably a stat. dec.) that there was no visible damage, no opening of, or work done on, the battery pack and Tesla to agree. Then you may have a chance. If it was damaged in the accident, then the insurer (if there was one) should be liable. It is clear from the Warranty doc. who would be liable. Otherwise only a court could decide otherwise.

WOW this is crazy. Are the warranty terms of other brands also like this? I mean can a manufacturer void your warranty just because a car was in an accident even when it was repaired by their own authorised repair centre? If this is true then to be honest you’d have to be silly to own a Tesla if someone running into you could potentially cancel the warranty on your $150k car and leave you with huge costs.

is this even legal????

I can’t imagine this is the case with other manufacturers, I’ve never heard of this happening ever before.

And if anyone says “the insurance will cover it” , I HIGHLY doubt that considering they don’t for any other manufacturer and you’d have a legal battle convincing them otherwise.

...other manufacturers...

I think others are the same with an accident exclusion:

"WHAT IS NOT COVERED

This warranty does not cover malfunctions caused by any of the following: accident, flood, misuse, modification, alteration, tampering, disconnection, improper or inadequate maintenance, except if performed by an authorized BMW center doing warranty repair work, use of leaded fuel or fuel other than as specified in the Owner’s Manual."