Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty or Good Will Repair?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My rear window would not stay closed and mobile service calibrated and fixed it. Interestingly my invoice said the repair was done as Good Will Repair. I thought anything that does not work within Warranty period is warranty repair unless Tesla has its own definition of Warranty coverage. Any adjustments may not be covered such as steering wheel off center? What about wiper not returning to resting position or seats fail to adjust? Good will is good but is it subjected to some hidden rules and the closer to warranty expiration the less Good Wills?

If they just did the hold the switch to recalibrate it, I feel that wouldn't really be warranty work, because nothing was really broken.

A steering wheel off-center tends to require a wrench.

Was it the only reason mobile service came out? How old is the car?

Window recalibration is an adjustment you can do yourself. With doors closed, hold the window down button for 5 seconds after it reaches the limit, and the hold the window up button for 5 seconds after it reaches the limit. Windows need to be recalibrated once or twice a year, in my experience. This you can do, and it isn't any work.

Window recalibration is an adjustment you can do yourself. With doors closed, hold the window down button for 5 seconds after it reaches the limit, and the hold the window up button for 5 seconds after it reaches the limit. Windows need to be recalibrated once or twice a year, in my experience. This you can do, and it isn't any work.
Thanks for the tip. I am surprised when I made the appointment, Service did not ask me to try that first before sending a mobile tech.

Reactions: DerbyDave
I've never needed a window calibration. This is over 10 years of owning 3 different Model S cars. Perhaps something knocks out the calibration like ice or something blocking the window from closing, situations I've never had.
My 1997 Jaguar would need the same calibration about every month, when I probably drove less than once a month. I have needed to do it on my BMWs and Mercedes and Lexus over the years. It is always the same simple step, but it mostly affects cars that have the upper glass closing into a channel in the roof like Tesla. The constant up and down an inch to close and open the door seems to increase the need. I am amazed you have not had this issue.

While I've not tried it, Service mode allows you to adjust the steering centerpoint: Service Mode – TeslaTap
This doesn't do what you assume it does. This changes where the steering rack centers to. But the car has fully mechanical steering, so this cannot center the steering wheel. It can just make it so that if you take your hands off the wheel it will go straight, even if the wheel needs to be turned to make this happen. Also, this is self learning and you can't force it to keep a value. Finally, this doesn't correct a bad alignment that can lead to rapid tire wear.

Reactions: vcor
I've never needed a window calibration. This is over 10 years of owning 3 different Model S cars. Perhaps something knocks out the calibration like ice or something blocking the window from closing, situations I've never had.
Same here. I have had numerous cars with automatic window control and never had to calibrate them. That includes a 2014 MS and 2019 Model 3. The window will close all the way if I close it when the door is open. But if I am driving and it started to rain, it will go up and then come back down half way. I had the car for 14 months and I must say I had not opened the rear window. May be it came out of the factory out of calibration. I was shown how to calibrate it by going into a service mode by entering a service password. But I already forgot.