Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty repairs requiring pre-approval for a repair fee? And then actually charged!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had my front passenger seat controls fail (again) and they required me to pre-approve a $137 repair fee. Please note this was not a "diagnostic fee" or "evaluation fee." It stated it was the cost to replace the switch. I asked why I had to approve this if it was under warranty. They said if the technician said it was due to component failure, it would be covered under warranty. I talked to the technician and he said it had nothing to do with my passengers using the switch. He said they are very fragile and he repairs at least one a day. I had one fail on my old Model 3 and this is the 2nd one fail on my new Model 3 in under a year. This second one failed within weeks of it being repaired the first time. I know some will say don't sign it, but they said if I don't sign it they won't send the mobile technician. And of course, they charged me the $137. I asked why I was charged when the tech said it was under warranty. Their response showed complete unawareness the repair was already made. Basically saying, "It's a pre-approval fee. If the tech decides it's a warrantied repair, you won't be charged." 🙄 Now they won't respond to my follow-up question in the app.

Reactions: rpo