Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys!

I was wondering since I believe my comprehensive Tesla warranty is expiring next year (2018 model), and was wondering what all I should try to have the dealership replace before it runs out. I know the battery warranty is until 2026 I believe but I want to make sure I get as much replaced as I can under my shorter comprehensive warranty before it expires.

Thanks so much ahead of time!

Mia.

Hey guys!

I was wondering since I believe my comprehensive Tesla warranty is expiring next year (2018 model), and was wondering what all I should try to have the dealership replace before it runs out. I know the battery warranty is until 2026 I believe but I want to make sure I get as much replaced as I can under my shorter comprehensive warranty before it expires.

Mia.
Tesla's are 97% self diagnosing, so if there isn't an obvious issue (strange noise, rattle, clunk etc) you'll get an alert to service. Happy to assist with a world class extended warranty from XCare when you are nearing the expiration. Hit me up at [email protected] for details 30 days out from expiration and I'll get you options to consider. Cheers!

Tesla's are 97% self diagnosing, so if there isn't an obvious issue (strange noise, rattle, clunk etc) you'll get an alert to service. Happy to assist with a world class extended warranty from XCare when you are nearing the expiration. Hit me up at [email protected] for details 30 days out from expiration and I'll get you options to consider. Cheers!
I would consider this but when I bought my used car it came with some 3rd party extended warranty that got bundled into price without me really knowing :(

I would consider this but when I bought my used car it came with some 3rd party extended warranty that got bundled into price without me really knowing :(
Yikes. That's not cool. By law, you have the right to cancel and get a prorated refund applied to your loan balance at any time. You will likely have to do that in person at the selling dealership. LMK if you get it cancelled, and we'll get you some great options to consider.

Reactions: miss demeanor
Yikes. That's not cool. By law, you have the right to cancel and get a prorated refund applied to your loan balance at any time. You will likely have to do that in person at the selling dealership. LMK if you get it cancelled, and we'll get you some great options to consider.
Ohhh I didn't know that! That's good knowledge to have, I need to pick up paperwork so let me talk to them about it there.

Anything that is not working and is covered by the warranty. What problems are you having?
Nothing that I know of, but I was more just looking for some feedback on issues people have witnessed or had around 24k miles or so so I know what to look out for; otherwise I'm more or less driving blind since I haven't owned an EV or know what sounds / things to look for :)

Hey guys!

Mia.
You cannot just bring the vehicle to Tesla and ask them to fix items that are not broken. If something is wrong, make an appointment.

Nothing that I know of, but I was more just looking for some feedback on issues people have witnessed or had around 24k miles or so so I know what to look out for; otherwise I'm more or less driving blind since I haven't owned an EV or know what sounds / things to look for :)

1). If you are front upper control arm ball-joints haven't failed yet, they will soon.
Upcoming Control Arms appointment question

2). Opening trunk after/during a rain will dump water into the trunk. There is a larger replacement trunk rubber gasket that can be installed.

3). Your 12V battery is nearing the end of its life. When it goes, you wont be able to start the car. I doubt the dealer will replace it pro-actively, but you may want to do it yourself, at some point.

4). More here: Common Tesla car issues

However, getting ANYTHING done pro-actively at the Tesla service center will be an uphill struggle. Since the automotive OEM and the service center are the same business entity, they have zero incentives to be pro-active about any of the work. Especially, if they can drag things out a few months, and have you pay for repairs out of pocket.

Good luck!
a

P.S.: Stay away from people pushing after-market insurance schemes onto you!

Last edited:
Hey guys!

Mia.

This is something that people normally do with ICE vehicles, but its kind of "not a thing" with teslas for a couple of different reasons.

For an ICE vehicle, because service is where many ICE dealers actually make their money, AND because ICE service departments know that, in general, a customer will say "Yes please" to any service recommendation they do not have to pay for, when you take your ICE vehicle into a dealer at the end of maintenance period it is good for both you AND them to try to cram as much in there as they can.

The ICE dealer is going to bill the manufacturer, you wont have to pay, but the dealer will get paid for anything they can cram in there, so they are more than happy to slide as much in there as they can, without having to provide proof to the manufacturer. More expensive for the Manufacturer, but dealer gets paid, and you get stuff replaced that might not have "needed" to be replaced.

Since Tesla does not have a dealer network, there is no incentive at ALL for them to fix anything "marginal". In general, these cars have less moving parts, but I am not saying they never break down (far from it). What I am saying is, is that there is no incentive whatsoever for them to "cram as much as they can at the end of a warranty period".

You are not going to be able to make a service appointment that says "I want you to check X and Y before it goes out of warranty" without tesla likely charging you shop time for it (most likely).

Now, with all that being said, a couple of things that people tend to complain about are suspension control arms making noise / squeaking, and 12V battery wearing out in a 2-3 year timeframe. You are close to being due on that 12V battery, but you will not be able to get tesla to replace it under warranty unless the car throws an error code for it (or you end up not being able to start the car). Its an $85 part, and with labor to install it if you want tesla to install it, it comes out to $129 fully installed, even if you get mobile service to do it.

The control arms, you will need to demonstrate squeaking and the technician will need to be able to duplicate it.

I cant think of anything else off the top of my head, but the TL ; DR version is, dont expect to make a service appointment for free for tesla to "check X and Y and Z before warranty expires" and expect them to happily do so.

EDIT:... didnt realize that @afadeev said the same thing I said, but a lot more succinctly (with a lot less words), lol.

Hey guys!

Mia.
Since you've recently purchased your car, You could ask Tesla to check your car
However that will cost you, unless they find something that's covered under warranty

Ball joints, 12v battery, uneven tyre wear something worth checking

This is something that people normally do with ICE vehicles, but its kind of "not a thing" with teslas for a couple of different reasons.

For an ICE vehicle, because service is where many ICE dealers actually make their money, AND because ICE service departments know that, in general, a customer will say "Yes please" to any service recommendation they do not have to pay for, when you take your ICE vehicle into a dealer at the end of maintenance period it is good for both you AND them to try to cram as much in there as they can.

The ICE dealer is going to bill the manufacturer, you wont have to pay, but the dealer will get paid for anything they can cram in there, so they are more than happy to slide as much in there as they can, without having to provide proof to the manufacturer. More expensive for the Manufacturer, but dealer gets paid, and you get stuff replaced that might not have "needed" to be replaced.

Since Tesla does not have a dealer network, there is no incentive at ALL for them to fix anything "marginal". In general, these cars have less moving parts, but I am not saying they never break down (far from it). What I am saying is, is that there is no incentive whatsoever for them to "cram as much as they can at the end of a warranty period".

You are not going to be able to make a service appointment that says "I want you to check X and Y before it goes out of warranty" without tesla likely charging you shop time for it (most likely).

Now, with all that being said, a couple of things that people tend to complain about are suspension control arms making noise / squeaking, and 12V battery wearing out in a 2-3 year timeframe. You are close to being due on that 12V battery, but you will not be able to get tesla to replace it under warranty unless the car throws an error code for it (or you end up not being able to start the car). Its an $85 part, and with labor to install it if you want tesla to install it, it comes out to $129 fully installed, even if you get mobile service to do it.

The control arms, you will need to demonstrate squeaking and the technician will need to be able to duplicate it.

I cant think of anything else off the top of my head, but the TL ; DR version is, dont expect to make a service appointment for free for tesla to "check X and Y and Z before warranty expires" and expect them to happily do so.

EDIT:... didnt realize that @afadeev said the same thing I said, but a lot more succinctly (with a lot less words), lol.
Thanks! Yeah coming from ICE world it's a learning curve for sure! I haven't really noticed any squeaking or creaking from the ball joints *yet* (crosses fingers), but I also usually have music on; I guess I should probably spend some time driving without music to see if hear anything. Regarding the 12V battery, is that something that I buy from Tesla and have their mobile service install or do I get it somewhere else?

Thanks again everyone for your feedback!! :D

Thanks! Yeah coming from ICE world it's a learning curve for sure! I haven't really noticed any squeaking or creaking from the ball joints *yet* (crosses fingers), but I also usually have music on; I guess I should probably spend some time driving without music to see if hear anything. Regarding the 12V battery, is that something that I buy from Tesla and have their mobile service install or do I get it somewhere else?

Thanks again everyone for your feedback!! :D
Since your new to EV's and Tesla prob best to have Tesla replace the 12v battery if you need to
That way you wont lie awake at night wondering if the right 12v battery has been fitted and if your car is going to unlock in the morning ....:)

Thanks! Yeah coming from ICE world it's a learning curve for sure! I haven't really noticed any squeaking or creaking from the ball joints *yet* (crosses fingers), but I also usually have music on; I guess I should probably spend some time driving without music to see if hear anything.

No need - when the boot is torn and joint starts failing, it is an unmistakable sound that gets louder and more frequent at an exponential rate. Here is what it sounds like when it just starts:

Regarding the 12V battery, is that something that I buy from Tesla and have their mobile service install or do I get it somewhere else?

Any 12V battery will work, same as in any regular ICE car.
You can definitely buy upgrades, and get them for less than what Tesla is selling.
OTOH, if you've never replaced a 12V battery in your life and don't know where to start, then sure, take it the dealer.

HTH,
a

You can definitely buy upgrades, and get them for less than what Tesla is selling.

I havent actually seen any 12V batteries that are less than what tesla is selling. The lithium upgrades are several hundred dollars (400 ish for ohmmu and 500-600 for MPP) while the tesla "regular, non lithium" battery is $85 for the part.

What batteries are available for the model 3 for much less than $85?

Edit... that sounds more challenging than I intended.. this is a curiosity question, not a "challenging / prove it" type question.

No need - when the boot is torn and joint starts failing, it is an unmistakable sound that gets louder and more frequent at an exponential rate. Here is what it sounds like when it just starts:

OTOH, if you've never replaced a 12V battery in your life and don't know where to start, then sure, take it the dealer.

HTH,
a
Thanks for the video, yeah...definitely am not hearing that haha! :D