Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was the wall connector with NEMA 14-50 pulled off the market?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

No, but supposedly I will on Monday.

Don't know what the big deal is here. It is perfect for my summer place where for some unknown reason I had the foresight to install 50A receptacles when I had the garage done. When I saw this item I ordered it immediately but it seemed it was about a month before I heard that the thing was on the way. All I can think of is that it was so popular that the entire production run was snapped up immediately.

You can always make one yourself by buying the regular wall charger, a piece of 6/3 SJOOW a plug and a 1" gland.

We recently installed our referral HPWC next to the 14-50 outlet we had been using to charge our X.

I asked the electrician about adding a 14-50 connector onto the HPWC, and was told the cord would have to be very short, in order to adher to "code".

Since our HPWC didn't have the 14-50 connector (which would have worked, since the outlet is adjacent to where we installed the HPWC), the electrician was instead able to hard wire our HPWC to the line powering the 14-50 outlet, and because that wire could handle more power, was able to upgrade the breaker for that circuit from 50A to 60A, so we can now charge at 48A.

A potential advantage of an HPWC with a 14-50 connector, is the possibility owners would be able to install the HPWC without an electrician. The HPWC could be configured to run on a 50A circuit, so installation would only requiring mounting the HPWC on the wall, without any electrical work being done.

What Tesla should do, to keep things simple, is sell all HPWC's with the 14-50 connector attached and pre-configured. And if an owner doesn't use the 14-50 connector, since an electrician is needed to do the installation, the electrician can easily remove the 14-50 connector when connecting the HPWC to the 50A circuit.

If our HPWC had come with a 14-50 connector, it would have been tempting to save $300 for the electrician and install the HPWC myself, connecting it to the 14-50 outlet, and keep the charging at 40A, which is what we had with our original 14-50 connection.

Reactions: 1375mlm
All HPWC's Tesla sells should have the 14-50 connector attached and configured.

That configuration should be installable without an electrician, mounting it on the wall and plugging it into an adjacent 14-50 outlet.

Since hard-wiring should be done by an electrician, they can easily remove the 14-50 connector during the install.

Reactions: ajdelange
I received mine. Mounted it on the outside of my house where I have my electrical outlet. It charges at 36mph. I love it, because I don’t have to haul my cord in and out of my frunk all the time. However, the little light on the front of it doesn’t light up and they sent me a silver one Instead of the black one I requested, but as long as it works I don’t really care about those other things.

I received mine a little over three weeks ago. Mounted it on my garage wall, plugged it in, and now I'm charging at 40 Amps instead of 32. More important to me than the slightly faster charging, I just wanted to leave the mobile cables in the car just in case I ever need them.

You likely won't ever need your mobile connector. It's nice to have it however. I also bought a chademo adapter thinking that it might come in handy turns out I needed it once in almost 2 years. And my mobile connector I've never used other than to see if it still worked.

But I'm still with you :) I carry both in the car just in case.

Reactions: Fiver and BrokerDon
All HPWC's Tesla sells should have the 14-50 connector attached and configured.

That configuration should be installable without an electrician, mounting it on the wall and plugging it into an adjacent 14-50 outlet.

Since hard-wiring should be done by an electrician, they can easily remove the 14-50 connector during the install.

Yes, I'd vote for this. Guess what the 14-50P wall charger is? An HPWC with slightly different landing terminals and the plug on the end of a length of cord. The top mounting feed bracket is not included and the terminals are a bit different but otherwise it appears to be a full up HPWC complete with daisy chaining terminals and current selection rotary switch pre set for 40A.

As to whether they are off the market or not I don't know but one did arrive here today.

If you want one but can't get it just order the HPWC, configure for 40A and add the wire and plug. Doing it that way you have the flexibility to change over to heavier duty should you move it to another location with a stiffer supply etc. You can also do that with the 14-50R version but landing a larger circuit would be a little tricky as you'd have to put spade lugs on the feed wire.

No, probably not. The heavier duty cable for the HPWC exhibits 10 - 20 °F rise at 72 A.

For most flexibility order the HPWC and fit a plug if you want to use it with a 14-50R receptacle. Better to do that than try to modify in the other direction.

A bit of a mystery with the 14-50P unit. The cable from the plug has 6 wires. Two red, two black, one green with yellow stripe and one very thin additional wire. The reds connect to one of the phase pins, the blacks to the other and the green with the stripe to the earthing pin on the plug. The thin black wire doesn't seem to connect to anything but is terminated in the WC at the control board. No idea what that's for.

However, the little light on the front of it doesn’t light up...
Download the manual for the HPWC. In the final assembly instructions you will see that they tell you to connect a ribbon cable to the PC board on the cover. Chances are good that the reason your lights don't light is because that ribbon cable has come loose (it was loosish in mine). Press it firmly into place and you should be good.

To get to it you will have to remove the escutcheon (plastic piece that says Tesla on it) and the cover. Getting the escutcheon off is a bit tricky as a securing screw (torx) has to be removed at the bottom and then the plastic pried off around the edges. Use a very small screwdriver for this. You will have to insert this at several places and pry up.

The cover under the escutcheon is held in place by security torx. You will need to get a security torx bit for this (hardware store?).

Download the manual for the HPWC. In the final assembly instructions you will see that they tell you to connect a ribbon cable to the PC board on the cover. Chances are good that the reason your lights don't light is because that ribbon cable has come loose (it was loosish in mine). Press it firmly into place and you should be good.

To get to it you will have to remove the escutcheon (plastic piece that says Tesla on it) and the cover. Getting the escutcheon off is a bit tricky as a securing screw (torx) has to be removed at the bottom and then the plastic pried off around the edges. Use a very small screwdriver for this. You will have to insert this at several places and pry up.

The cover under the escutcheon is held in place by security torx. You will need to get a security torx bit for this (hardware store?).

Thank you for this info, but I’m not very handy. I’m sure I’d break something. I think as long as it’s doing its charging job, I’ll just leave it alone.