Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washer pump not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, so the ACI wiper fluid pump did not fit (female to female electrical connector)....so I drove to Tesla and got theirs about the same price (i'm not sure how much it was total bill was $32 for five clips and one washer pump)..

When you install it make sure you don't push in the rubber gasket into the tank :rolleyes:. Took me some time to get that bastard out (I ended up running hot water into the tank to make the rubber gasket more malleable, so I could pull it back out with a pair of needle nose pliers.... anyway I guess this service now qualifies as a windshield wiper tank flush:).

Once it got the correct part it was EASY to install, took awhile for it to prime with fluid and now every thing works fine...Tesla also came out with a revised wiper fluid pump that feels more robustly built, it it throws a lot harder than the old one.

Here is the new part #

3S5146
1WP0044
PUM815755

Here is the old part #

3P3536
1WP0002
PUM812072

So the You Tube video shows that you have to remove all the flashing and firewall from the Frunk. The other doesn't do that, just goes into the front wheel well. What was your experience? My motor doesn't make any noise. Could be an electrical issue. I'd hate to go thru all that if it is just a fuse.

I just did mine today. Took about 1.75 hours total (including getting out tools and putting them away. I took off both felt liners. The video shows you can just do one and bend it out of the way.

I recommend buying the gasket and a few extra long and short liner clips, when you buy the pump.

It took a while for the new pump to spray. I could hear it pumping, but even after 2 or 3 long (30 second) attempts ... nothing. Finally I took off the sprayer tube from the pump and some fluid came out of the sprayer tube connector on the pump, so I put it back on. When I tried to spray again, it sprayed fine.

You may want to note which liner clips are long, so you put them back in the right spot. I marked the felt liner with chalk near the holes for the long connectors.

I just did mine today. Took about 1.75 hours total (including getting out tools and putting them away. I took off both felt liners. The video shows you can just do one and bend it out of the way.

I recommend buying the gasket and a few extra long and short liner clips, when you buy the pump.

It took a while for the new pump to spray. I could hear it pumping, but even after 2 or 3 long (30 second) attempts ... nothing. Finally I took off the sprayer tube from the pump and some fluid came out of the sprayer tube connector on the pump, so I put it back on. When I tried to spray again, it sprayed fine.

You may want to note which liner clips are long, so you put them back in the right spot. I marked the felt liner with chalk near the holes for the long connectors.

I also measured the DC voltage from the connector. It was 7.5v when not pumping and 13.5v when you pushed the button to spray. I was kind of surprised to see the 7.5v when not spraying.

Yeah, mine quit with around 65,000 miles and 2.5 years old. Tesla charged me around $250-300 to replace it.
I also replaced my this fall, just before the rain started. Like some others the new pump as spinning with nothing coming out. I thought I had properly primed it, but guess not. It took maybe two days of driving before the sloshing around primed it. It's been working fine since. I happened to get my pump from a person parting out a car. I know there's some generic make/model that will be an exact fit, but couldn't find that info.

I just changed pump in my 2015 70D. After watching YouTube videos I got out the jack and everything, then started poking around before lifting it. I turned the wheel full left and removed bottom two pins and pulled liner back. Pump is right there. Lost prime or something cuz it took a while to start flowing again. Pleasantly surprised Tesla would sell the part and that it was a straightforward fix.
I don't know if all the cars are this simple, but look before you start removing wheel and liner.
Tesla Cleveland had pump in stock, $39.
IMG_0317.jpg
IMG_0318.jpg

Reactions: AustinP and vdiv
I just changed pump in my 2015 70D. After watching YouTube videos I got out the jack and everything, then started poking around before lifting it. I turned the wheel full left and removed bottom two pins and pulled liner back. Pump is right there. Lost prime or something cuz it took a while to start flowing again. Pleasantly surprised Tesla would sell the part and that it was a straightforward fix.
I don't know if all the cars are this simple, but look before you start removing wheel and liner.
Tesla Cleveland had pump in stock, $39. View attachment 568839View attachment 568840
Many Thanks !
I was put off by removing the wheel as I did not have the equipment and buying a decent jack was not worth it imho. But your comment saved the day and indeed for 40€ and a 15’ job it was all done.
And thanks to @Xenoilphobe on the warning about pushing gently to avoid pushing the gasket in the tank.
great community!