Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 windshield washer pump not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Evening Group. My 2016 MS windshield washer pump has up and quit on me. As I had previously changed it back myself in 2022, I had no issues changing it again.

Just got the new pump and installed it this evening. After a few pushes on the switch, I got one squirt and then nothing. While the reservoir isn't full, there is enough juice in it to not trigger the low fluid sensor, so it should pump.

While priming the pump, I did notice a sort of crackling noise from the passenger foot well fuse box, but there isn't a fuse there that's linked to the pump.
Of course, we are in early spring up here in Canada and while it's currently below freezing, sloppy roads are soon to be at hand again (it's been a weird on again-off again winter).

Any ideas on next steps or is this a service visit?

Cheers
Ian Lisakowski
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Reactions: David Harvey
The pump is connected to a body control module so if you suspect the fuse then you would not have rain sensing and fluid level info. Hope this section of the wiring will help.

F9ABC475-4875-4CF2-AD32-229C185DC91A.jpeg

The pump is connected to a body control module so if you suspect the fuse then you would not have rain sensing and fluid level info. Hope this section of the wiring will help.

View attachment 1030458
Thanks! As it'll be a while until we have rain to worry about here, is there a way to test this easily in ones driveway? If it helps, I keep the headlights/fog lights in Auto mode and recently have noticed that it's running with the headlights & fog lights on, even when the auto headlights should most likely just be using DRL.

Thanks! As it'll be a while until we have rain to worry about here, is there a way to test this easily in ones driveway? If it helps, I keep the headlights/fog lights in Auto mode and recently have noticed that it's running with the headlights & fog lights on, even when the auto headlights should most likely just be using DRL.
Try sprinkling windshield with hose for rain sensing.

Did you checked the 2 year old pump on a known good 12V source?
I would also be curious as why it was so short time that it worked. I have heard (and did tested with non Tesla washer pumps) that if you can supply higher voltage to test the pump then it will become operational again. You have cordless tools at home, preferably higher than 12V batteries? Hook the pump up and test with the battery.