Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washing a Black Model 3 - any tips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my black SR+ for about 3 weeks and now need to wash it. I have never owned a black car before but do notice many black cars on the road with scratches. I have watched way too many internet videos how to wash and not wash your car. So far, I am just confused.

I am not car crazy but would like to avoid scratches and keep the car looking pretty nice. I applied Cquartz UK 3.0 (DIY) the day I took delivery but now need some advice for washing.

I am thinking Glimour foam sprayer with Carpro Reset should do the trick. Maybe use a wash mitt if it's really dirty?
And maybe an air blower to dry it.

Any insight would be appreciated.

The more you touch the car, the more it will get scratched. Keep it simple and don't wash it any more than you need. People that wash their cars every week put more swirls in them, and then buy more polishes to fix the swirls, and its a vicious cycle that feeds the detailing industry.

I recently tried out Meguires "ceramic" spray on wax (blue bottle) and its working very well. It will keep dirt and acidic droppings from wearing down the clear coat. Without any kind of wax, dirt will embed into the paint (big issue for white, but pretty irrelevant for black). With enough wax, dirt floats on top and can even protect the paint (no joke). Use good wax, don't wash often, and don't fear being dirty. My $.02.

• Disagree
Reactions: Onyx M3
EDF5684B-51B7-4C00-87EC-AA5A4AC18290.jpeg Two bucket method. Grit guards. Use high quality products don’t wash in circles, do straight back and forth motion, keep the mitt clean. Work from clean areas to dirty areas.

Use third bucket and different mitt for wheels
(Brake dust is bad)

Using the above I’ve been able to keep the swirls out of my wife’s black BMW For 7years and 65k Miles. Props to you for going straight for a ceramic coating. The professional grade stuff is longer lasting. But the consumer grade that is normal folks can get our hands on is still pretty great.

Hello! Black car owner reporting. Tips:

1) use two buckets with a dirt catcher in your dirty bucket (2 bucket method)
2) always rinse the car first to loosen dirt and use lots of suds to lift dirt away from the car
3) rinse your sponge or mitts frequently to avoid dragging dirt across the finish
4) wash in the shade
5) don't drop your *sugar* on the floor!!!!
6) once a season invest in a clay bar to remove contamination, follow with polish and compound (applied by orbital to save your arms), and a good wax.
7) don't get too crazy, because a detail shop can pretty much restore that finish if you get swirls etc it's a car not a porcelain doll
8) a foam cannon helps you do the above washing with minimal contact with the car, and is cheap if you own a power washer. Also fast!

I run my car through touchless car wash bays. For showroom clean, I'll come home after the touchless wash and use the rinseless method: ONR+water in garden sprayer + 20 microfiber cloths. Every wipe is on a clean microfiber surface. Each cloth has 8 clean surfaces if you fold it 2x. No microscratches to the clear coat.

Usually if I'm going thru the effort of the rinseless wash, it's because I'm going to follow it with claybar and DIY ceramic coat. The vast majority of my washes are through an automated touchless bay. Works extremely well particularly once you have ceramic coating applied.

You are making it way more difficult than it needs to be. Add ONR and a gallon of water (or two if the car is extremely dirty) to the picture below and you are washing. Purchase High quality microfiber NO MITTS!!

We’ve driven black cars for decades and this is easily the best wash system we have found period.....

View attachment 416569
Yep, this.

And foam cannons are a waste of time and money.

As a one-month owner of a black Model 3, I say to you good luck. Your car already arrived swirled to all heck from the factory or showroom cleaning.

Also, regular microfiber cloths absolutely swirl the heck out of the paint’s clear coat even further, so I’d recommend not using them unless you absolutely have to. I use a Chemical Guys mitt (the floppy side - not the flat side) and touch the paint the least amount possible. A gently “brush” from side to side

Follow up with a spray wax, and be sure not to look too closely at black paint in the sun. It will just depress the crap out of you, especially if you start noticing the duller circles in the paint from where the factory wet-sanded paint nibs out but didn’t restore the clear-coat luster.

Yep, this.

And foam cannons are a waste of time and money.
But they are so much fun! The looks your neighbors give you are priceless. (well, except the one guy next door that was drooling over the foam cannon, turbo stick, master blaster......)

My Corvette is black - to keep it clean I simply wash it every time I drive it and It doesn't see rain. :eek:

I use this product and its amazing. Waterless wax and wash. Spray it on.. wipe it off and it seems to repel dirt a bit which saves water and time at the car wash. I live near the beach in SoCal and it's very dusty from the beach and since it does not rain much, I have to wash my car often so this has really saved me and I can use this on the windows as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Aero-Cosmeti...ords=wax+wash&qid=1559933763&s=gateway&sr=8-3

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
I use this product and its amazing. Waterless wax and wash. Spray it on.. wipe it off and it seems to repel dirt a bit which saves water and time at the car wash. I live near the beach in SoCal and it's very dusty from the beach and since it does not rain much, I have to wash my car often so this has really saved me and I can use this on the windows as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Aero-Cosmeti...ords=wax+wash&qid=1559933763&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Figured it’s worth a shot. Ordered. :D

From 1983 to 2013 we owned seven black cars in succession. Loved them. Washed them. Waxed them. Babied them. Hours and hours of exterior maintenance.

Then, we bought a silver car. Since then we have owned only silver, white or red cars and have not looked back.

The two bucket wash method is a must. We only used Dawn dish soap. Zaino made our polish, wax, finishing products of choice.