Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washing a Black Model 3 - any tips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From 1983 to 2013 we owned seven black cars in succession. Loved them. Washed them. Waxed them. Babied them. Hours and hours of exterior maintenance.

Then, we bought a silver car. Since then we have owned only silver, white or red cars and have not looked back.

The two bucket wash method is a must. We only used Dawn dish soap. Zaino made our polish, wax, finishing products of choice.

Lol is this a troll post? Dawn and zaino?

I am a big fan of doing a rinseless wash using ONR. Unless the car is super dirty, in which case I would do a traditional wash using Meguiars Gold Class Car Soap, doing a rinselss wash using ONR works really well, cleans the paint without inducing swirls, and saves a ton of water.

A couple tips to minimize the chance of inducing swirls:

1) People often don't realize that many swirls and scratches are induced by improper drying techniques. Especially for a black car, I would use a drying aid. You can use a spray wax or detailer as a drying aid, but my favorite drying aid is Ammo NYC Hydrate. Using Ammo Hydrate, you dry the entire car using a damp MF towel. It blows my mind how you can dry the car using a damp towel. But it works and prevents swirls.

2) If you use MF towels at any point during the wash or dry steps, make sure you use clean and soft MF towels. Never wash MF using fabric softeners and never dry MF in the dryer on anything other than an ultra low heat setting. Fabric softeners and high drying temps will damage the soft ends of the MF towel, causing them to actually become hard and fibrous. if you then use these damaged MF towels on your paint, you will likely induce scratches and swirls.

3) If you use any products that contain ceramic (SiO2), such as ceramic spray sealants or ceramic detailers, be sure to wash your MF towels immediately after you are done. If ceramic is left in an unwashed MF towel for an extended period of time, it wlll harden into the fibers of your MF towel. The next time you use the towel, it will then induce scratches and swirls.

4) If you own a black car, despite your best of efforts, there is a good chance that at least some swirls will be introduced at some point. Like dandelions in a beautifull lawn, it can be helpful to just accept that they are unavoidable and will occur now and then.

5) If you don't want to take the zen approach of acceptance and really want to do anything to prevent swirl marks, then a full car PPF is your best bet. When PPF is applied to the paint, the adhesive fills in any minor scratches and swirls and then the PPF film prevents the formation of any new scratches and swirls.

Reactions: SomeJoe7777