Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washing -what do you use?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use Chemical Guys Honeydew snow foam, two buckets with a microfiber wash mitt and a wheel woolie. Invisible Glass on the windows, spray bottle not the aerosol can. To dry, I use a set of plush microfiber towels.

I got my MYP full body PPF wrapped, so I'm not as concerned about contactless washing methods.

What does everyone prefer to use to clean the interior? A damp cloth or soap and water is ideal for the seats, but how about the rest of the interior, such as the dashboard? An interior detailing brush is also immensely helpful.
I use a "CA duster" interior tool for a quick "de-dusting of the dash. Every few washes, I use Nextzett Cockpit Premium to wipe everything down. It cleans very well and does not attract dust nor does it leave any annoying shine. I simply take a clean microfiber towel and spray it several times before wiping down the entire interior. I've tried them all, and in my book this is one of the best interior detailers. Works great on the seats too.

Screenshot 2022-04-20 112706.jpg

Plain water. No coatings or wax anywhere. Get it wet, lightly wipe off dirt with a clean wet microfiber towel (takes about 4), then dry with a chamois.

I'm taking a stand against all the snake oil "coatings."

It would be wasted anyway, this car will see so much time in the woods getting the crap beat out of it, just like our last Subaru. After 5 years, no panel gets a break, scuffs and bumps everywhere.

Already, after 2 months the dogs in the way back have scratched every piece of plastic, it's like the inside of a dog kennel. Speaker grills are holding up great.

Just offering a different take on car care.
OK, so that didn't last long. Finally broke down and clay barred the winter's worth of IDK, tiny black and yellow spots off the lower doors, mostly, and everywhere, that would not come off with normal scrubbing. Also using a very diluted car wash soap, neutral ph.

Found about 10 chips in the front, after 7 months. Took about 8 years to get this many chips in our last car (2014 Outback)

Reactions: boulder.dude
I use a "CA duster" interior tool for a quick "de-dusting of the dash. Every few washes, I use Nextzett Cockpit Premium to wipe everything down. It cleans very well and does not attract dust nor does it leave any annoying shine. I simply take a clean microfiber towel and spray it several times before wiping down the entire interior. I've tried them all, and in my book this is one of the best interior detailers. Works great on the seats too.

View attachment 795760
This for sure - have been using it since my BMW days, can't go wrong. Has a very pleasant low key scent too!

Reactions: csrpenfab
Thanks, I haven't seen this one before. I'll definitely give it a shot.

Found about 10 chips in the front, after 7 months. Took about 8 years to get this many chips in our last car (2014 Outback)
Does this surprise you? There's a reason so many of us subscribe to the "snake oil" lol. Most people get ppf or ceramic coating to protect from regular street use, so I can only imagine how it would look from off roading. Teslas have so much exposed painted surface area in the front where other cars have metal grilles, you're bound to get more paint chips; the inferior paint quality only exacerbates the issue.

Last edited:
Does this surprise you?
Not really, now that you mention it, makes sense about the grill. I thought about PPF on the front, but then thought, naw, I'll just get my neighbor to re-spray .the bumper in 5 or 10 years, if it bugs me. (he's an amazing auto body guy). And I love how easy it is to clean off the nose, compared to a grille.

I am fixing the chips in more obvious places, up on the hood and the rear hatch.

I like stuff to show wear, up to a point. More comfortable to live with, don't worry as much, and the patina is a reminder of the history we've had with it. I guess it will be a curated patina, anything that could rust or corrode will get fixed.

any advice for wash that wont strip clay wax sealant?

Also for all of you who have those dazzling red painted calipers - where did you get that done? (any in SoCal?)
Any good name brand "car wash" soap will be kind to your sealant. I've tried Adams, Chemical Guys, Griots, etc... and they all do a decent job. When I use my foam cannon this gallon of Chemical Guys "grape scent" works quite well. Can't help you with the red calipers, they came stock on my MYP, but I know many MYLR owners have had theirs painted or added the fake covers that give the appearance of a painted caliper.

Screenshot 2022-04-25 140507.jpg

any advice for wash that wont strip clay wax sealant?

Also for all of you who have those dazzling red painted calipers - where did you get that done? (any in SoCal?)
Chemical Guys make the best, in my opinion, but there are many comparable options. You just want to make sure whatever you use is pH balanced.

The red calipers are included with the Model Y Performance. As far as I know, the only way to get them from Tesla is to order a MYP. It's not an available upgrade for MYLR, but I'm sure there are independent shops that will paint them for you. Be aware, there is a stigma associated with people who do this, as it gives the impression you have a higher trim level car than you actually do.

Not really, now that you mention it, makes sense about the grill. I thought about PPF on the front, but then thought, naw, I'll just get my neighbor to re-spray .the bumper in 5 or 10 years, if it bugs me. (he's an amazing auto body guy). And I love how easy it is to clean off the nose, compared to a grille.

I am fixing the chips in more obvious places, up on the hood and the rear hatch.

I like stuff to show wear, up to a point. More comfortable to live with, don't worry as much, and the patina is a reminder of the history we've had with it. I guess it will be a curated patina, anything that could rust or corrode will get fixed.
You're a pariah in this thread! lol You knew what you were getting into when you started talking about your dogs tearing up the trunk.

At the end of the day, it's your car, and you have the freedom to present it however you'd like. For me, I look at keeping my car clean similar to combing your hair and dressing well. Of course, you CAN walk around with messy hair and unironed clothes, but I'd like to live in a society where people respect themselves more than that, so I do my part to make it a reality.

Reactions: OxBrew
You're a pariah in this thread! lol You knew what you were getting into when you started talking about your dogs tearing up the trunk.

At the end of the day, it's your car, and you have the freedom to present it however you'd like. For me, I look at keeping my car clean similar to combing your hair and dressing well. Of course, you CAN walk around with messy hair and unironed clothes, but I'd like to live in a society where people respect themselves more than that, so I do my part to make it a reality.
LOL. My dream is to live in a cabin on the beach somewhere, flip flops and surfing every day. Shaggy hair (what's left of it), shorts and t shirts.

I saw my first billionaire in person walking up to the general store in Stinson Beach a couple 3? decades ago. Barefoot, tan, shorts, sunglasses, collarless shirt unbuttoned, sun bleached messy hair. Heard later he was surfing all morning, and liked to get high when he surfed. He could afford to not give a ------ what anyone thought about his appearance.

So sure, each their own. I think it shows more self confidence to be your authentic self and comfortable in your own skin.

Lol - he/she's my hero. I'm still laughing at the post that compared the back of the car to a dog kennel

I'll wash mine every once in a while, but it's not high on my list of enjoyable pastimes

It's a car, meant to get you from A to B. I'll look after it, but not go nuts over it. I have no problem with people lavishing care on their vehicles, or modding them. It's just not for me

I like to wash my car (it's kind of a mental therapy :) ).. Here is what I do:

Ceramic coat the car (you can do it, or you can pay somebody to do it). If you do it, you can use an easy product like Adams Graphene Ceramic Spray (~$42 lasts ~6 months in real-world use) or you can buy one of the more $$$ DIY kits. I do it myself using Adams 'Graphene Ceramic Coating Advanced' ($130 lasts about 2 years) [Don't believe people when they say Ceramic will last 9 years.. it will last 9 years if you never wash your car or get road contamination on it. metals, salts, and chemicals happen]

Once the car is ceramic coated... you can just do a quick/simple 2-bucket wash (youtube it).

* Adam's Car Wash Shampoo (~$35 for a gallon, pH neutral and ceramic safe).
* TriNova foam cannon w/ pressure washer (i use a cheap/small 'sun joe' that works great)

spray the car -> foam the car -> wipe the car down (2 bucket technique) -> rinse the car

Then I spray the car down with a drying aid (currently using Adams CS3 w/graphine and liking the results) using a Chemical Guys Mr. Sprayer.

Then dry the car with a quality drying towel (youtube the proper way to do this). My favorite towel is the Chemical Guys Mammoth Microfiber Drying Towel.

Sounds like a lot of work... but it takes me 15 minutes to wash my MYP and give it that glossy slick wet look that will last a few weeks (Ceramic + CS3 = glossy shine).

LOL. My dream is to live in a cabin on the beach somewhere, flip flops and surfing every day. Shaggy hair (what's left of it), shorts and t shirts.

I saw my first billionaire in person walking up to the general store in Stinson Beach a couple 3? decades ago. Barefoot, tan, shorts, sunglasses, collarless shirt unbuttoned, sun bleached messy hair. Heard later he was surfing all morning, and liked to get high when he surfed. He could afford to not give a ------ what anyone thought about his appearance.

So sure, each their own. I think it shows more self confidence to be your authentic self and comfortable in your own skin.
Funny you say that....and "in the know" dealers know it.
In 2008 I was shopping for a car. I generally don't work Fridays so that was reserved for shopping. Walk into a Audi dealership, in San Diego, dressed in board shots, tank top, and flip flops after a walk on the beach.

Got excellent service. Sales man offered me an s8 for test drive etc etc.

We got talking and I told him that I am surprised with the service specially the way I am dressed...specially when I was not ready to buy now.
His answer...if a person walks in on Friday, at lunch hour, in suit/impeccably dressed he probably is I. 9 to 5 job, will need loan, is on time limit, and will fight for every 100 dollars.
Whereas not so well dresses, on Friday, walking with no rush probably will pay cash, not haggle for few 1000 dollars, and sale will be quicker.

It's just the perspective, I guess. Not dressing well has nothing to do with not respecting self. It's just they draw energy from other things.

Reactions: OxBrew
Honeydew foam, a bunch of fluffy microfiber towels. I then dry the car and use ONR to spray/clean the crevices and door sills, etc. I don't use ONR on the exterior paint surfaces because it adds micro swirls.

The car is ceramic coated and I use Turtle wax hybrid ceramic spray every six months or so.

I really really like watching water bead on the paint and feeling it perfectly smooth and glossy when I run my finger on it. It brings me joy.

Last edited:
It's just the perspective, I guess. Not dressing well has nothing to do with not respecting self. It's just they draw energy from other things.
This may be true for someone, but for most people, keeping ones appearance in good order is certainly a reflection of self respect. People do it as one of many many possible ways to improve themselves. Just because some people don't use this as a way to improve themselves, doesn't take anything away from those that do. Let's just share our ideas and not judge the mental state of those who do or do not take care of their appearance or the things they own.

Reactions: SANTRI and OxBrew