Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Watch: SpaceX to Launch First Flight Crewed by Private Citizens - I4 Launch Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where’s the original poster from? I’d like to get a high res. version of it.
I thought it looked cool and informative and so C&P'd it here.
I found the creator and his shop:

xes_at_spx.jpg

Am I imagining or is there much less media coverage for this mission compared to the Disney ride type missions from BO and VG?

This is the real deal. I don’t think Musk hating main stream media understands that. Or they do, but they are waiting for some hiccup to happen to jump in and provide wall to wall coverage.

Am I imagining or is there much less media coverage for this mission compared to the Disney ride type missions from BO and VG?

This is the real deal. I don’t think Musk hating main stream media understands that. Or they do, but they are waiting for some hiccup to happen to jump in and provide wall to wall coverage.

Yeah, either I just don't follow main stream media that much or there isn't a lot of coverage. I mean even Eric Berger of Ars isn't covering it. WTF?

You’re imagining it. Literally the first 5 articles on spaceflightnow right now are inspiration 4 related, same goes for 4 of the first 5 links on space.com.
What..?? spaceflight.com & space.com is mainstream media? Where is the coverage from CNN, CNBS, MSNBC, Bloomberg, LAT, WaPo, WSJ, NYT...?? What is happening now is ground breaking.

The moment the slightest hiccup happens, you will see wall to wall coverage from these same outfits, on ego maniac billionaire Musk who has no regard to security or human life... They will be calling for his head and cancellation of all NASA and Airforce contracts.

Reactions: scaesare and SO16
I think the answer to lack of major media coverage is primarily due to the lack of interest in these 4 individuals. Branson and Bezos are well known personalities and the general public wasn't very familiar with their rockets. No Musk, no Milky Way TV.
SpaceX has already demonstrated human safety and reliability flying the F9/Dragon 2. Might sound callous, but the audience isn't there, so it'll only get passing coverage.

I remember experiencing some disappointment after watching Pete Conrad and Al Bean on their first moonwalk. At first it was because the color TV camera got fried by the sun. Within day or two it shifted as to why no one else was watching, also why most barely cared. The difference in public interest between AP-11 and the rest of the Apollo missions is an enigma that I'll never fully understand. Though it does help to accept the reality of public banality toward this mission.

• Informative
Reactions: Electroman
What..?? spaceflight.com & space.com is mainstream media? Where is the coverage from CNN, CNBS, MSNBC, Bloomberg, LAT, WaPo, WSJ, NYT...?? What is happening now is ground breaking.

I strongly encourage you to step away from the narrative and instead consider reality and evidence.

1. Seriously, all you need to do is google it. There's plenty of big outlet coverage on Inspiration 4, both in recent days as well as months back. Time did a piece a month ago. Hell, they were on friggin The Today Show when the mission was announced.
2. For the virgin or BO launches, generally the extent of the big outlet coverage was day of headlines to the tune of "billionaire is going to huck himself into space". In some cases the coverage was even relegated to after the fact "billionaire hucked himself into space" headlines. Its not like there was some frenzy leading up to the launches. I can't stress this enough, but despite what you want to believe there's no discernible difference in big outlet coverage for this mission.
3. Importantly, Inspiration 4 IS NOT GROUNDBREAKING. For most people [the few that even know about it] it is another billionaire buying a huck into space, just with a better crafted supporting cast than having Jeff's brother what's-his-name in the right seat.
4. Doth we forget the massive media swirl [rightly so] surrounding the first crew mission? THAT was the mission that was groundbreaking. That coverage dwarfed what Virgin and BO received.

The moment the slightest hiccup happens, you will see wall to wall coverage from these same outfits, on ego maniac billionaire Musk who has no regard to security or human life... They will be calling for his head and cancellation of all NASA and Airforce contracts.

This is seriously dangerous, Fox News level mongering.

Of course there will be a media circus around a major anomaly. Like it or not, that's what we call news. And of course there will be a few opinion pieces that call to shut down SpaceX. That's what we call jumping to conclusions--you know, exactly what some did after Apollo 1. What's important is that we not legitimize nefarious (or even just uninformed) coverage by Trumping up someone's clickbait nothing burger into a prime rib.

I know this is hard for some, but it is also hyper important--and incumbent upon us as the SpaceX fanbase--to not marginalize or reject otherwise legitimate analysis/criticisms regarding said hypothetical anomaly (or any other unfortunate circumstance). It doesn't do any good to craft some alternate reality narrative around a legitimate analysis, framing it as some kind of hit piece that doesn't bring anything else to the table.

Facts are.

Jared said the dome door is open and the view is spectacular. No live views before signing off now.

Always nice to spend some time with John and team. 🌎🚀 Congrats SpaceX on another nominal launch. (Nominal just doesn’t seem right to describe it in regular speak!)

Last edited:
Reactions: ICUDoc