Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water discharge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own a 2021 model Y. I live in Richmond VA and garage the car. I have noticed that in the morning when I go out to the car there is usually a small pool of water in front of the driver’s side wheel. I’m assuming it is from a radiator but I can’t see anything under the car. Any thoughts or explanations. Thanks.

If the fluid you find beneath the Tesla Model Y is other than plain water, then know:

The coolant is blue, slippery. (If you find blue fluid on the ground that is not washer fluid then there is a coolant leak. Stop driving the Tesla vehicle and contact Tesla Service via the Tesla app)

The washer fluid may be blue or clear, usually contains methanol to prevent freezing in low temperatures. (Methanol is highly toxic so wash your hands after coming in contact with any of the washer fluid. A common occurrence is that the hose from the washer fluid reservoir gets disconnected, washer fluid spills onto the ground beneath the vehicle when you attempt to use the windshield washer. You may be able to re-connect the washer fluid hose yourself or contact Tesla Service.)

The brake fluid is almost clear/pale gold to brown, slippery and can smell like old fish. (If you find signs of brake fluid underneath the vehicle, or on the ground just inside any wheel then you may have a brake fluid leak.)

the AC compressor oil is dyed fluorescent yellow (like a yellow tennis ball) and will glow dimly in near darkness under a UV light source (black light.) If you find a greenish yellow slippery substance underneath the Tesla Model Y do not continue to drive the Tesla vehicle. Contact Tesla Service regarding an AC compressor oil leak.)

the drive fluid is red, slippery (the drive fluid is like ATF fluid, you should never see the drive fluid on the ground beneath the Tesla Model Y.)

Reactions: GtiMart and DrGriz
Upvote 0