Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water seaping inside my trunk causing shortage of lighting.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a light or heavy rainfall, I have noticed that when i use my rear lift gate, water comes coming out of each sides and even through the locking area in the center of the trunk like a damn faucet. I have included a video showing this issue on a smaller scale. The other day ( i don't have video of ) was much worse. I see that this caused the trunk LED light to short out and now both of my tail lights are fogged. I even now see that my locking pins are rusting because of this. I have scheduled an appointment at a service center, but i suspect the issue to be the rubber lining to be punctured or something because i cannot locate the leak. It gets worse near the end of the video as you can see.

Sorry for the video as i was trying to capture all the water so it didn't get into my carpeting and record at the same time with a dirty bin.

I just had this same thing addressed by Tesla Service for free since my car is still under warranty. I haven't noticed the issue since.

Here is what was noted on the repair invoice.

Performed diagnostics and found that the lift gate taillight seals were worn and was causing the condensation/water ingress into the trunk. Removed and replaced both lift gate taillights and verified light functions. Also replaced the lift gate chrome applique.

Part Quantity
LIFTGATE TAIL LAMP ASSEMBLY -
BACKUP - SAE - LEFT (6005922-00-E)
BACKUP - SAE - RIGHT (6005924-00-E)
ASY, LIFTGATE APPLIQUE (1026649-00-E) 1

I just had this same thing addressed by Tesla Service for free since my car is still under warranty. I haven't noticed the issue since.

Here is what was noted on the repair invoice.

Performed diagnostics and found that the lift gate taillight seals were worn and was causing the condensation/water ingress into the trunk. Removed and replaced both lift gate taillights and verified light functions. Also replaced the lift gate chrome applique.

Part Quantity
BACKUP - SAE - LEFT (6005922-00-E)
BACKUP - SAE - RIGHT (6005924-00-E)
ASY, LIFTGATE APPLIQUE (1026649-00-E) 1

Thanks for the update on this! I suspected it to be the seals as it was what people were seeing online searches. I had one instance where it really came out like I was pouring a glass of water from the middle latch area.

I described mine as a waterfall :)

It was nice to get the new lights since the old ones had a burned out area along with condensation.

Attachments

• 20181113_190648.jpg
    20181113_190648.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 84
  • 20181111_095404.jpg
    20181111_095404.jpg
    669.5 KB · Views: 62