Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water through the panel gaps after car wash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

Been a month after I got my first Tesla, and I just had my first self car wash experience.

And I noticed that there was quite a lot of water going into the panel gap. I only took the picture for the frunk, but the water was inside all doors and the trunk.

Water didn't leak into the interior of the car, but I was wondering if this is normal because I don't really remember seeing this in my previous car.

In the picture, you can see that there is water in the area where the bolts are, and the picture was taken a day after I washed my car.

Is this normal? I am worried that this water will slowly make damage the parts.
20201101_130428.jpg
20201101_130432.jpg

Your frunk must be very easy close. When I adjusted the plastic liner inside the frunk in order to close the hood easier there was a nice gap at the hood bumper junction. Eventhough the hood did close with one finger, I realized this would result in a significant amount of water getting into the frunk area and replaced it back into the original setting.

Agreed, normal. My frunk “surround” under the hood (not the cargo area itself) is always soaked after a wash, as are the inner door frames & sills. Keep a microfiber cloth handy for drying out after the wash!
Good to know someone else gets water in the door frames. One door, there’s so much water in the frame when I open the door after a wash water splashes out of it. But, no water gets in the car! ;)

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Sorry to revive this and all. I have the same issue. I did adjust the rubber stoppers in order for me to close the hood easier as I noticed it was too hard and caused some denting lol. I then realized that the hood did not align with the fenders so I returned it but did realize water was getting into the bolt and latch area. My concern is if water gets into the latch area is it bad? I did find that the latch was wet and I tried drying it as best as I could.