Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water under the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the morning I have been noticing water under the car. In the middle center front. Is this normal? I wake up to this so I don't think its condensation from AC.
If your car charges overnight, it is possible that the AC compressor is running overnight if needed to cool the battery pack. In that scenario, especially if it is high humidity where you are at, it could be AC condensate.

Reactions: henderrj
Random data point for you. I had my car randomly turning on the compressor and leaving a puddle around 745am each morning. I don't leave my car plugged in so it wasn't a charge event. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why it was coming on and cooling down the battery (the interior didn't seem to be cooled). I checked for scheduled departure, cabin overheat, nothing seemed to be tied to it. It was taking a few percent each day so I was determined to make it stop. I ended up resetting the entire car and it worked. It now sleeps the entire 24 hours (which seems to be the interval it checked back to Tesla) and no more morning puddles for me. My vampire drain is now drastically lower.

• Helpful
Reactions: aesculus
I, too, have the condensation puddle on the garage floor under the right front of my Model Y. I run the climate system in the morning to prepare the cabin for my spoiled butt, so I expect some dripping. HOWEVER, this is Central Florida, and "some dripping" amounts to a river, given the humidity here. So, I must soak up large puddles in low spots on the garage floor every day.

As a stopgap, I deployed some old carpet remnants under the MYP. This is Florida, so I would expect that a constantly wet hunk of carpet will grow toxic mold in short order.

Has anyone figured out a better way of dealing with the condensation? I suppose that ideally, I could re-pitch the garage slab and put drains at the low spots, but I do not feel like spending thousands more, especially after dropping $70K on Reddy Kilowatt. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Watch the Gruber motors YouTube on the old short A/C drain pipe! It used to be so short that it drained onto the top of the battery, stayed in the moulded grooves and corroded the top screws allowing water into the pack. The one he stripped had all sorts of internal corrosion issues.
Scary.....