Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wax on vehicle during delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious as I haven't seen others mention it on here, but I just took delivery of my Model X yesterday, and the staff definitely seemed to not want to give me too much time and the service was much less then I expected when purchasing a nearly $130k vehicle.

I was trying to look over the vehicle, trying to check for paint defects, and there was visible wax at every corner of the vehicle, and on a dark vehicle, the white wax appears as scratches. It wasn't a small amount, but literally every corner had it. Every piece of plastic trim on the car was covered with it. And Tesla had somebody who clearly didn't know how to handle it try to help me, and then after I told him he needed to get someone else to help, he just disappeared and never came back. Others told me "its just wax, nothing to worry about" It wasn't until I made a fuss in the showroom that I finally got them to try to get the car looking reasonable. After they got most of the wax rubbed in/removed from the plastic, I found 7 different paint defects throughout the vehicle, so I'm wondering if they were trying to hide it with the wax? Most of them were not covered by the wax, but it was so distracting it was hard to pay attention to anything else.

I also had the white interior, and the 3rd row was covered in yellow stains. After working on the vehicle for 3 hours, they got 95% of the stains out, but a small spot remains. Its in a pretty non-visible spot, but does anyone know what would leave a yellow stain from the factory? Is it even more wax? They were trying to clean it with magic erasers and meguiars carpet and upholestery cleaner (which I was surprised as its on the "pleather" so is that the right product for the seats?)

I left with them telling me to schedule a service appointment with a written list of defects upon delivery as they couldn't fix the paint issues right then. Also have a scratch on one of the pieces of glass that they will need to fix/replace.

I will say the car drives amazingly, and there is no actual functional defects at all (at least that I could find), I'm just a bit disappointed at the customer service and the paint job. I know its end of quarter and they were very busy, but I ordered at the end of last quarter, they delayed my delivery for over a month from what they promised me, were generally non-responsive, and I couldn't even get the final price with taxes till after banks closed during the weekend. I'll say I've generally had similar problems getting final numbers with pretty much every non-Tesla dealer I've dealt with in my life too, but I was hoping for better with Tesla, and the actual transaction process was significantly more organized and friendlier then other dealerships, up until my inspection and the generally poor detailing of the vehicle (it always seems to take me about 3 hours to get a vehicle, just usually its more time with finance/upselling warranty/etc and less with the vehicle).

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
Everyone’s detailing experience I have read is all different...if that is your only issue and u don’t have panel gaps or FWD issues I would say U did well ..Tesla service does a good job post delivery so I wouldn’t worry ..but unless ur scratch is terrible I would be careful with having them respray a dark car as blending may have issues

Everyone’s detailing experience I have read is all different...if that is your only issue and u don’t have panel gaps or FWD issues I would say U did well ..Tesla service does a good job post delivery so I wouldn’t worry ..but unless ur scratch is terrible I would be careful with having them respray a dark car as blending may have issues
No FWD issues. I got 5 small paint bubbles on the hood, a significant chip on the side of the vehicle, and what appears to be another cars paint on the rear bumper (but no signs of impact so it must have been light, the paint appears to be on the surface but we couldn't get it off). My vehicle color is blue btw.

The glass is scratched deep enough for your finger to catch it above the rear quarter panel triangular pane, several inches long. The front bubbles don't really bother me too much, would I be better off not fixing them?

Also, anyone got any ideas for the yellow stain on the white seat? What caused it and how to get it off?

The bubbles not sure how bad and if something can be done without respraying whole hood ..typically if hood is sprayed they do the fendors as well for blend ...other items sounds like can be fixed easily ..for seat just have them replace