Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Way too early guess at the Tesla Urban Transporter (Spacebus)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Large city buses in Europe regularly have rear-facing seats without headrest. With Four seats across and an aile in the middle, you will often have two benches of two seats facing each other.
With a smaller, lighter bus, deceleration g-forces on passengers in a typical collision will be higher due to the lower mass of the vehicle. But I think the Easy Mile bus concept above should work well at up to normal city speeds.
If there is more overhang, you could also glue on another seating only row of three at the front and back with separate doors. But I definitely think you'd need this center space for strollers, luggage and wheelchairs.

IBM's Watson people mover. I bet the Tesla people mover will be very similar.
hss-storage-midas-17db426cae9ed877f4fe2727a9318abe-203962637-2.jpg

local-motors-olli-shuttle-4-2.jpg

hss-storage-midas-d030b0550ef04a76ed61428295687e2b-203962633-2.jpg

hss-storage-midas-7d69541a5859bddea88c70e0f808b7bb-203962636-2.jpg

My guess is that it will be very different.

1. I'm thinking it will have a range of 200 miles at 70 mph. This means it needs to be fairly aerodnamic, and probably not much taller than a Model X. It probably won't be possible to stand upright inside the bus, but with falcon wing doors, entering and exiting is made quick and convenient.

2. I'm thinking it will have four rows of forward facing seats, with three seats in each row, so 12 people total. Plus a luggage compartment and an open space for bikes, wheelchairs and strollers.