Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waymo One launches

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[QUOTE="
1 disengagement every 5 rides actually seems like a lot to me, especially considering that each ride is probably not very long. It's not like each ride is a 200 mile trip. Each ride is maybe 20 miles or so, driving around town. But maybe, since the disengagements were just a couple seconds and were apparently not safety related, they were not disengagements that were the fault of the system?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, i have to call "fake news" on once per 5 rides.

Waymo has to give its stats to State of California. As shown below, rate for YE Nov 17 was .2 disengagements per 1000 miles (1 per 5000 miles). See below: source Economist.

upload_2019-3-12_12-22-7.png

[QUOTE="
1 disengagement every 5 rides actually seems like a lot to me, especially considering that each ride is probably not very long. It's not like each ride is a 200 mile trip. Each ride is maybe 20 miles or so, driving around town. But maybe, since the disengagements were just a couple seconds and were apparently not safety related, they were not disengagements that were the fault of the system?

Sorry, i have to call "fake news" on once per 5 rides.

Waymo has to give its stats to State of California. As shown below, rate for YE Nov 17 was .2 disengagements per 1000 miles (1 per 5000 miles). See below: source Economist.

View attachment 385730[/QUOTE]
.2 / 1,000 miles * 352,000 miles = 70 disengagements. That seems really low. Does it count if the car stops and the driver takes over to make it go again? (the Waymo left turn issue)

In the figure fudging arena: one could have a few cars continuously driving the easy sections to boost the total miles.

It's not "fake news" per se but it is anecdotal evidence.

sorry - really didn't mean any disrespect. I can see humor was misplaced.

Still, I have to go with official stats sent to State of California. Assume that CA is very clear to operators how to define disengagement. If nothing else, chart shows how far ahead Waymo was from the pack back in 2017 - and assume many more Chandler experiences have made them even better.

FYI - I dont have financial or other interest in Waymo - just passing along data.

sorry - really didn't mean any disrespect. I can see humor was misplaced.

Still, I have to go with official stats sent to State of California. Assume that CA is very clear to operators how to define disengagement. If nothing else, chart shows how far ahead Waymo was from the pack back in 2017 - and assume many more Chandler experiences have made them even better.

FYI - I dont have financial or other interest in Waymo - just passing along data.

The most logical way to interpret the apparent discrepancy is by understanding statistics. A few rides is a very small sample size so it will not reflect the true statistic. It is entirely possible that a customer just happened to experience that 1 disengagement in his 5 rides but that overall, the disengagements are very low.

.2 / 1,000 miles * 352,000 miles = 70 disengagements. That seems really low. Does it count if the car stops and the driver takes over to make it go again? (the Waymo left turn issue)

In the figure fudging arena: one could have a few cars continuously driving the easy sections to boost the total miles.

Many disengagements — perhaps even the vast majority — don’t have to be reported. I don’t even look at the disengagement figures anymore. They might be interesting from a public safety point of view (which is what the DMV cares about), but they don’t seem interesting from a technology progress point of view.

This article gives a detailed specific example of a disengagement that wasn’t reported: https://jalopnik.com/californias-autonomous-car-reports-are-the-best-in-the-1822606953

Amir Efrati, probably the best investigative reporter covering autonomous cars, has done some great reporting on disengagements data: Amir Efrati on Twitter

• Informative
Reactions: mongo