Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We have 100D, what next?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So... as many of us predicted (cough... me :)), the 100D dropped in right after the end of the free supercharging - as a means to sustain demand for Q1. I will admit that the method for announcing it surprised me - no announcement at all. And it didn't come with any other upgrades at all - which I also didn't expect.

So, that then leads to the obvious question: what's next for the S/X

I'm thinking that the next major change will coincide roughly with the next Model 3 event. I'm thinking that will happen in March, maybe April. That will include the HUD, but I expect it will also include a new interior for the S, and a new dash for both the S and X.

What other possibilities are out there? We had the mild body refresh a while back now. I expect that, at some point soon, we're going to be looking at a full exterior refresh. Maybe this will coincide with the new 2170 cells and a P120D?

• Disagree
Reactions: ba2002
Tesla seems to be more or less settling in to a quarterly update/demand pump cycle.

As you said, I'm thinking next quarter is going to be tied to the 3 reveal, and probably an interior/controls overhaul that matches the "spaceship like controls" promised for the 3 - I think there's a good chance it'll be a large area HUD doing augmented reality for AP, but that's all speculation at the moment.

The obvious thing for July would be new packs based on 2170 cells - longer ranges and faster cars. (Some folks have pointed out that Tesla committed to a couple more years of cell buys from Japan, which may have to be 18650 cells, though I think I've read that the lines in Japan could be refitted for 2170?)

Not really sure what October would be, though NVidia is supposed to be shipping their next generation self-driving/driver assistance computer about then, with 60% more processing capacity on 10% of the power, which might suggest an AP update?