Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird clunking noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my Model 3 SR+ , and I have read the manual. Please don't yell at me. I'm getting a new noise during pre-conditioning (I live near Chicago and it's really cold this time of year). I'm attaching the file below so you can hear it. There has always been a little bit of noise from the pumps, but not like this. This is new. Any ideas?

Model 3 clunking

Thanks,
Phil

That link took me to the App Store for SoundCloud so I couldn’t listen to the clip. I know my battery clunks when there is a big temp change like preconditioning, charging, or when I drive up into the mountains. There is a “recall” for some Model 3s that changes a cover for the battery (or something like that) but I haven’t brought mine in.

That link took me to the App Store for SoundCloud so I couldn’t listen to the clip. I know my battery clunks when there is a big temp change like preconditioning, charging, or when I drive up into the mountains. There is a “recall” for some Model 3s that changes a cover for the battery (or something like that) but I haven’t brought mine in.
Try this one maybe? (sorry about the dumb photo)

My car clunks when I get in it now after a long rest. It started RIGHT after the last upgrade. 5k miles, and this is new. Car still drives well and it doesn't happen after the initial entry.
What you might be hearing is the "thunk" of HV contactors closing.
They open when the car goes to sleep
and close when the car wakes
Leaving sentry mode on stops the car sleeping and disconnecting the HV contactors

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I don't have a heat pump so that isn't it. The clunking goes on for a long time---and stops when I get in and put the car in reverse to pull out. I have made a service appointment but it's not happening until next week. Any other ideas would be welcome

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I don't have a heat pump so that isn't it. The clunking goes on for a long time---and stops when I get in and put the car in reverse to pull out. I have made a service appointment but it's not happening until next week. Any other ideas would be welcome
you're talking about the drumming noises in addition to the louder clunk in that audio file you posted?

The louder clunk sounds like HV contactor closing, the drumming noises that kept going on seem pretty abnormal to me if it came from the car.