Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird limit on 3 phase charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a strange problem the last few days. My car is an 2013 Model s with dual charger and normally I can charge at 32A on commercial 3 phase and 16A at home on my own 3 phase.
Some days ago it did limit the current to 5A per charger so I only get 10A in total from my 3 phase outlet.
Worth noting is that before this problem started I charged my car out in the rain and the charger failed (5 red blinks on the mobile connector). I dried the mobile connector over night and then it started working again, but now I just get 5 amps per charger. Could this water issue have damaged the charger somehow? if yes, can it be reset somehow or any other suggestions I could try?
I read some post about some 5A "safe default" or something similar but this problem does not seem so common that there are any solutions.
-Supercharger is OK, it can still do full power.
-1 phase 240v gets me 13A as before, so no 5A limit here.
-I tested 3 phase at home and at the super market, always just 10A.
-Tested also another mobile connector, same thing there.
-I did reboot the car using the hard reset, no difference.
-No error messages or something like that.

If anyone has some suggestions I would be thankful!
//Simon

I got a strange problem the last few days. My car is an 2013 Model s with dual charger and normally I can charge at 32A on commercial 3 phase and 16A at home on my own 3 phase.
Some days ago it did limit the current to 5A per charger so I only get 10A in total from my 3 phase outlet.
Worth noting is that before this problem started I charged my car out in the rain and the charger failed (5 red blinks on the mobile connector). I dried the mobile connector over night and then it started working again, but now I just get 5 amps per charger. Could this water issue have damaged the charger somehow? if yes, can it be reset somehow or any other suggestions I could try?
I read some post about some 5A "safe default" or something similar but this problem does not seem so common that there are any solutions.
-Supercharger is OK, it can still do full power.
-1 phase 240v gets me 13A as before, so no 5A limit here.
-I tested 3 phase at home and at the super market, always just 10A.
-Tested also another mobile connector, same thing there.
-I did reboot the car using the hard reset, no difference.
-No error messages or something like that.

If anyone has some suggestions I would be thankful!
//Simon

I know you already tried another Mobile Connector, but perhaps try a third one? Tesla can help if you schedule a service visit using the app. If a new MC works, perhaps they can repair yours? Even though it is supposed to be rain resistant, I always try to shield the main module and plug when charging outdoors. Another possibility is that a power surge hit your MC or internal car charger(s), or some other weather related fault occurred. Tesla can help with this if that is the case.

There are whole house surge protectors that can help to protect your MC along with other equipment you have, such as your refrigerator. I recommend you get one.

Last edited:
Regarding surge suppressors and for what it is worth, from Tesla: "Model S can withstand surges without external protections. There is surge protection built into the Mobile connector, wall connectors, and on-board chargers. All of these products are tested for surge tolerance during development. Additional surge protection for Model S should not be necessary."

Regarding surge suppressors and for what it is worth, from Tesla: "Model S can withstand surges without external protections. There is surge protection built into the Mobile connector, wall connectors, and on-board chargers. All of these products are tested for surge tolerance during development. Additional surge protection for Model S should not be necessary."

His is a 2013, so the surge protection may not be as good as on a 2020 model that has benefited from years of improvements. When surge protectors get older (e.g. 10 years), it's good to replace them. So, I would get a whole house surge protector especially for older Model S vehicles. Plus you have the added benefit of other items in your house being protected.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Thanks for the suggestions, I seem to have solved the problem but I don't know what the reason was.
I did the following:
-Plug in the charger in my 3 phase outlet
-Disable scheduled charge
-Set max Amp to 1
-Increase the amps step-wise and wait a few seconds after each step until I get 16A.

Now it seems to somehow allow more than 10A and I get full charge power. Maybe there was some SW bug that I was able to avoid by increasing the amps this way, not sure.
Anyway it works now so if someone has the same problem, try this procedure.

Happy new year!