Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well. It finally happened. Spoiler.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well. It finally happened. After almost a year, I finally got my spoiler installed. Mobile tech was very thorough and patient. But there was only so much he could do. Picked one of the two spoilers that fit the best. Apparently these are the revised spoilers going out to owners now, and they still don’t bond flush on the ends. I’ll live with it for now. It looks great from a distance at least.

The issue on the ends is that the actual adhesive/tape is recessed too far into the spoilers themselves, and getting them to bond without any gaps/lifting is very difficult.

I’ll give it awhile. Winter should be interesting. If it gets worse and debris keeps collecting like I’m thinking, I’ll rip this off and go third party. I can’t believe they can’t get something as simple as a spoiler right. ‍♂️

I’ll post pics of the gaps if I get around to it. The left side is way more noticeable. Held down both ends during install for at least 5 minutes.

Attachments

• 93D627DE-AF0B-41EA-8299-19043AFF25AA.jpeg
    93D627DE-AF0B-41EA-8299-19043AFF25AA.jpeg
    496.2 KB · Views: 360
Well. It finally happened. After almost a year, I finally got my spoiler installed. Mobile tech was very thorough and patient. But there was only so much he could do. Picked one of the two spoilers that fit the best. Apparently these are the revised spoilers going out to owners now, and they still don’t bond flush on the ends. I’ll live with it for now. It looks great from a distance at least.

The issue on the ends is that the actual adhesive/tape is recessed too far into the spoilers themselves, and getting them to bond without any gaps/lifting is very difficult.

I’ll give it awhile. Winter should be interesting. If it gets worse and debris keeps collecting like I’m thinking, I’ll rip this off and go third party. I can’t believe they can’t get something as simple as a spoiler right. ‍♂️

I’ll post pics of the gaps if I get around to it. The left side is way more noticeable. Held down both ends during install for at least 5 minutes.
Why not add another layer of adhesive to the tips, to fill the recess gap? Did he heat the tape before applying?

I have my mobile appointment next week for attempt #4. So far, 13 spoilers have been dry fitted and all of them had large gaps that would require considerable force for the ends to fit flush against the trunk lid.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Some people have gone through 4 or 5 OEM spoilers and still have lifting. I'm convinced that the top-mounted spoilers are way more reliable. I edited/uploaded the video I recorded months ago showing how I installed the IKON Motorsport Carbon Fiber Spoiler. I know this doesn't really help the OP, but I think a lot of people would be a lot happier not having to constantly worry if this will be the day their OEM-type blade spoiler is going to start lifting up at the corners.

I talk a lot in the video, but you can see how it installs in under 10 minutes. In my opinion it's the nicest, most reliable spoiler out there. After having it on the car for months it is showing ZERO signs of lifting anywhere (see pics at the end of the video that I took a couple days ago, after having it on the car for months through heat, rain, washing, etc.). I hope you like the video!

https://amzn.to/33Zj9bu

Reactions: TheLocNar
Some people have gone through 4 or 5 OEM spoilers and still have lifting. I'm convinced that the top-mounted spoilers are way more reliable. I edited/uploaded the video I recorded months ago showing how I installed the IKON Motorsport Carbon Fiber Spoiler. I know this doesn't really help the OP, but I think a lot of people would be a lot happier not having to constantly worry if this will be the day their OEM-type blade spoiler is going to start lifting up at the corners.

I talk a lot in the video, but you can see how it installs in under 10 minutes. In my opinion it's the nicest, most reliable spoiler out there. After having it on the car for months it is showing ZERO signs of lifting anywhere (see pics at the end of the video that I took a couple days ago, after having it on the car for months through heat, rain, washing, etc.). I hope you like the video!

https://amzn.to/33Zj9bu

Not too much into spoiler, but I wonder if this help for avoiding leaving scratches when closing the trunk with one hand?
It would be nice if you could add a video showing where you put your hand to close the trunk

Not too much into spoiler, but I wonder if this help for avoiding leaving scratches when closing the trunk with one hand?
It would be nice if you could add a video showing where you put your hand to close the trunk
That's a great question!

I start closing the trunk by grabbing below the license plate. Then about halfway down I use my other hand to pull down on the spoiler.

I should note that I have the EVannex auto-open struts, so it's MUCH harder to close the trunk. So even with my pulling down on the spoiler for the last couple months, the spoiler still shows zero signs of lifting up anywhere. I would NEVER try that with the OEM blade-type spoiler, even without the easier-closing OEM struts -- I think you'd be almost guaranteeing to pull the OEM blade-type spoiler off!

Tell the Tech that maybe the solution is to fit you with a new trunk lid, since how can so many spoilers not fit? Gotta be the hood.

Head of mobile service told me there are variations in the trunk lids.....so now they try the fitment of the spoilers on several cars before they get discarded or sent back. Don't know if this is true, this is just what I'm being told..

Reactions: KenC
It's why I bought a spoiler. I have the stronger gas struts and I always put my hand on the back edge of the trunk to push it down, so having a spoiler means less likelihood of scratching the trunk. Of course, I put on an OEM spoiler. Fit is exactly as the day I put it on 3 months ago.
Screenshot 2019-08-29 12.12.07.jpg
Screenshot 2019-08-29 12.06.30.jpg

Ha good luck with that. I purchased one of the best aftermarket spoilers on the market. According to them. It fits far worse than the photos you posted. So bad I don't even use it. Unfortunately original manufactured is generally the best rout.

It's why I bought a spoiler. I have the stronger gas struts and I always put my hand on the back edge of the trunk to push it down, so having a spoiler means less likelihood of scratching the trunk. Of course, I put on an OEM spoiler. Fit is exactly as the day I put it on 3 months ago.
View attachment 447949 View attachment 447950
Excellent example of just how terrible of an idea it is to put carbon fiber on vehicles driven daily. It requires allot of maintenance to keep it looking new.

Excellent example of just how terrible of an idea it is to put carbon fiber on vehicles driven daily. It requires allot of maintenance to keep it looking new.
Huh, what maintenance? Or do you mean, my spoiler has lost its shine? It never had any shine, since the original pics were taken on a sunny day, and the recent ones were taken on an overcast day.

Reactions: Rothgarr
Huh, what maintenance? Or do you mean, my spoiler has lost its shine? It never had any shine, since the original pics were taken on a sunny day, and the recent ones were taken on an overcast day.
It will loose it's shine. Might just be the photo but it's only a matter of time before the coating starts to come off and looks like crap if it's not maintained regularly. This is why only high end luxury vehicles use carbon fiber on the outside of their vehicles. Because your typical vehicle owner won't have a clue.

*If you live in an area with extreme weather conditions, we recommend taking more time to maintain your carbon fiber parts and accessories. To ensure the best care for your carbon fiber item(s) RW Carbon also recommends that you polish and wax each part by hand using a microfiber applicator pad.*

Reactions: KenC
It will loose it's shine. Might just be the photo but it's only a matter of time before the coating starts to come off and looks like crap if it's not maintained regularly. This is why only high end luxury vehicles use carbon fiber on the outside of their vehicles. Because your typical vehicle owner won't have a clue.

*If you live in an area with extreme weather conditions, we recommend taking more time to maintain your carbon fiber parts and accessories. To ensure the best care for your carbon fiber item(s) RW Carbon also recommends that you polish and wax each part by hand using a microfiber applicator pad.*
Okay, got it. I like a matte finish. I don't mind as long as the finish wears consistently.