Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well there’s a thing, sudden unintended acceleration just happened to me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, the car really should beep at you if auto speed is engaged...I pretty much never engage it without doing the double tap for autopilot...so I didn’t really fully realize that it makes no chime noise when you push the lever down once just for cruise control...no other cars makes a noise...but they should

While this is true, the car doesn't necessarily only apply power to the motor when told to. Example is when you reverse down hill slowly and come to a stop by releasing the pedal, the car applies momentary forward power before applying the brakes.

Anywho, I haven't had a repeat incident of this since I posted the thread, I doubt there's going to be any getting to the bottom of it and most people will never have it happen and doubt those that do.

My 2021 doesn't seem to do this. Instead of applying power in a reverse direction, it applies the brakes. You can feel the brakes being applied an instant before the car comes to a complete stop and when you accelerate from a stop while in hold mode, you can feel a slight bump as the pads release from the rotors.

Mike

My 2021 doesn't seem to do this. Instead of applying power in a reverse direction, it applies the brakes. You can feel the brakes being applied an instant before the car comes to a complete stop and when you accelerate from a stop while in hold mode, you can feel a slight bump as the pads release from the rotors.

Mike
Hey Mike,

I guess I'd have to drive your car! Mine certainly feels as though it behaves like yours during regular driving, but I have to reverse into my driveway downhill, if your 2021 can perform a slow and controlled reverse descent to a smooth stop followed by some feathering to make fine adjustments without applying forward power at any point then Tesla must have massively improved things over my 2019! Mine waits maybe half a second after complete stop to apply the brakes in this scenario, and even occasionally subtly moves (floats is maybe a better word) forwards at the "hold" point.

What's the scenario for China cruise control sudden acceleration? Doesn't it happen to the USA too?

"China’s State Administration for Market Regulation said that under certain conditions drivers could accidentally activate cruise control. If the car is traveling slower than the cruise control setting, the car will accelerate “and in extreme cases,” could cause a crash."

If the posted sign is 50 MPH and if I was driving slowly at 18 MPH then turned on the TACC, it would accelerate to the speed of posted sign to 50 MPH. Maybe some people would panic because of the sudden acceleration but how does the TACC would cause the crash because it is to keep a safe distance from the car in front?

I guess it could happen on a parking lot when there's a parked car in front and I would drivel slowly at 1 MPH then if the TACC is turned on, it could accelerate to a much higher speed limit than that and since the parked car is stationary it might just crash into stationary obstacles.

What's the scenario for China cruise control sudden acceleration? Doesn't it happen to the USA too?

"China’s State Administration for Market Regulation said that under certain conditions drivers could accidentally activate cruise control. If the car is traveling slower than the cruise control setting, the car will accelerate “and in extreme cases,” could cause a crash."

If the posted sign is 50 MPH and if I was driving slowly at 18 MPH then turned on the TACC, it would accelerate to the speed of posted sign to 50 MPH. Maybe some people would panic because of the sudden acceleration but how does the TACC would cause the crash because it is to keep a safe distance from the car in front?

I guess it could happen on a parking lot when there's a parked car in front and I would drivel slowly at 1 MPH then if the TACC is turned on, it could accelerate to a much higher speed limit than that and since the parked car is stationary it might just crash into stationary obstacles.
I now have my autopilot set up to go my current speed if it engages…not the speed limit it thinks it is.

Reactions: rpiotro
It is just a software update, so the fix will likely likely be deployed world-wide. It will be interesting to see what the details are for this fix. I can imagine one fix is to not allow turning on TACC while turning. I could also see the possibility of moving the TACC/AP engagement to the right scroll wheel like it is in the new S&X.

I'd like more information on how you can "accidentally" engage the cruise control. Are they talking about making a right turn and your hand hits the stalk? If that's it, they'll probably just deny cruise activation if the steering wheel is in motion.

Mike

Reactions: MP3Mike
I'd like more information on how you can "accidentally" engage the cruise control. Are they talking about making a right turn and your hand hits the stalk? If that's it, they'll probably just deny cruise activation if the steering wheel is in motion.

Mike
That sounds exactly like what it is from the reports I am reading. It's a simple software fix just so you can't accidently hit the stalk and have the car accelerate unintentionally (I believe it's even been reported up thread as a cause for unintended acceleration).

Status
Not open for further replies.