Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We're on the fence about getting solar and would love some input

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2017 7.8kw solar panels cost $8600 after all tax credits.

Don't know your market, but that's crazy cheap. I'm installing a similarly sized system in NYC for around 55K. We have generous state and local tax credits that combined with federal will cut the price in half maybe. But our net cost will still be 4x your cost.

The price we're paying is for fully licensed, insured, and with permits. If I had your price, I'd built a tree house just to put solar on it.

Don't know your market, but that's crazy cheap. I'm installing a similarly sized system in NYC for around 55K. We have generous state and local tax credits that combined with federal will cut the price in half maybe. But our net cost will still be 4x your cost.

The price we're paying is for fully licensed, insured, and with permits. If I had your price, I'd built a tree house just to put solar on it.
Sorry if I was not clear, am not counting any Powerwalls, an 8.1kW system from Tesla today is under $20k cash before tax credit.

I live on LI the state tax credit is capped at 5k, so you will pay 33.5k before any NYC or coned credits. I paid $7700 after all credits for a 6.8kw system. My house is off the rails efficient as it was built in 2019 w/ 100% open cell foam including garage. The installers didn't understand how a 3200 sq ft home needed such a small system.

I assume you aren't getting Tesla solar, I know they didn't do any installs in NYC due to the headaches. Lots of residential areas w/ SFH all over queens, parts of BK and SI.

I live on LI the state tax credit is capped at 5k, so you will pay 33.5k before any NYC or coned credits. I paid $7700 after all credits for a 6.8kw system. My house is off the rails efficient as it was built in 2019 w/ 100% open cell foam including garage. The installers didn't understand how a 3200 sq ft home needed such a small system.

I assume you aren't getting Tesla solar, I know they didn't do any installs in NYC due to the headaches. Lots of residential areas w/ SFH all over queens, parts of BK and SI.
Much more expensive here. Not sure why, but having a flat roof may have something to do with it. Brooklyn Solarworks has a 9 foot high structure it builds and they had to get NYC approvals for hurricane safety and stuff. So maybe with the higher hurdles, they can charge more compared to a relatively low installation on a shingle roof that has more competition in the suburbs.

With a much lower price like that, what is your payback period in LI? With relatively high electricity prices compared to other areas of the country and with net metering, mine will be around ten years. At least I'm getting a solar production guarantee too.

Much more expensive here. Not sure why, but having a flat roof may have something to do with it. Brooklyn Solarworks has a 9 foot high structure it builds and they had to get NYC approvals for hurricane safety and stuff. So maybe with the higher hurdles, they can charge more compared to a relatively low installation on a shingle roof that has more competition in the suburbs.

With a much lower price like that, what is your payback period in LI? With relatively high electricity prices compared to other areas of the country and with net metering, mine will be around ten years. At least I'm getting a solar production guarantee too.
I’ll break even in 5.5 years max. Should hit it in 5. I also a model y performance. The gas savings are factored in. My situation is unique due to my low price and the high efficiency of my home.

You posted that your rates are .135c per kWh, is that including taxes and fees? Mine is close to that, but becomes 0.22c once you factor in all the other items added into your power bill.

Like you, I didn't calculate my powerwalls into my ROI. My original ROI was 8 years 9 months, however my utility has almost doubled their rates, plus my usage has increased. My ROI (panels only) is now down to 6 years 8 months. If I factor in powerwalls, I'm down to just under 10 years. I did a Tesla solar loan, but it was when their rate was 0.99%, it was a no-brainer versus paying cash.

In the year I've had it installed, it's been great. We have lost power more in this past year than the five before it. We don't even know when the power goes out, just a notification from the tesla app. Plus, no loud noisy generators to listen to or maintain.

For maintenance on my equipment, I've cleaned my panels three times so far (myself), and keep the vents cleaned on the inverters. Other than that, I don't expect much else.