Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
answering Canuck's question.....

, I am waiting for a used Model S to come down to my price range (about $50,000) or I will buy a model 3, which ever comes first.
I travel to the coast a couple times a year to visit family so I have been following this thread since it's beginning to see when the Hope
SC was coming online. Now that Kelowna is under way, it means that Tesla is more viable as a main mode of transportation. We wont need
a second vehicle. I am actually coming down there this weekend for a visit, I wish it could be electric! Oh well, I just have to be patient.

Max

I'm on the edge of my seat watching for updates on this one, If Kelowna is not online in time for the first weekend in December... well, I'm not sure how I'm getting to Big White, but I suspect without the SC it won't likely involve my Model S.
Revelstoke to Big White should be pretty feasible on a charge? If you're staying on the hill, you'd probably be able to at least find a 110 socket to trickle while you're there... or stay at the Best Western in Kelowna where the SC is going - they have plenty of Level 2 units.

Or do Sun Peaks instead, but I can't guarantee I'll have my electrical work done by then either.... ;-)

Revelstoke to Big White should be pretty feasible on a charge? If you're staying on the hill, you'd probably be able to at least find a 110 socket to trickle while you're there... or stay at the Best Western in Kelowna where the SC is going - they have plenty of Level 2 units.

Or do Sun Peaks instead, but I can't guarantee I'll have my electrical work done by then either.... ;-)
I've done this trip to big white every year, is not to ski, it's for a car rally (rally racing) I provide safety and communications for them. So a different mountain isn't an option. Every year I look for power at big white, and I'm always disappointed, if I manage to get anything it will be 110v and the temperature is likely to be cold enough that the pack heater would likely eat all the available current instead of provide a charge.
The event organiser is looking in to it for me, but realistically if there's no supercharger by that time, and no charging at the hill, I'll be taking an ICE

Maybe if there's enough demand a bunch of people could chip in and sponsor a charger from Sun Country Highway.
I was involved in the Thompson Okanagan Tourism Association's golf tournament in the summer (showed my car on a tee box to support Sun Country). Response from hotel and resort owners was very positive and many said they had plans to get a charge station in place. So speaking to the Big White group themselves would probably be a good plan. But I think there is next to zero chance that they'll get anything done this year before the ground is frozen... other than perhaps a 14-50 on a wall somewhere. Sun Country seems to be having serious trouble getting their supplier to meet their demand, so it's unlikely they'd even get a unit this year if they ordered today - my current experience anyway... I've been waiting a couple of months for a 100 unit for Williams Lake (80 amps continuous) to arrive.

I was involved in the Thompson Okanagan Tourism Association's golf tournament in the summer (showed my car on a tee box to support Sun Country). Response from hotel and resort owners was very positive and many said they had plans to get a charge station in place. So speaking to the Big White group themselves would probably be a good plan. But I think there is next to zero chance that they'll get anything done this year before the ground is frozen... other than perhaps a 14-50 on a wall somewhere. Sun Country seems to be having serious trouble getting their supplier to meet their demand, so it's unlikely they'd even get a unit this year if they ordered today - my current experience anyway... I've been waiting a couple of months for a 100 unit for Williams Lake (80 amps continuous) to arrive.

There is always the Tesla Destination Charger program...

There is always the Tesla Destination Charger program...
For sure. But what I've found is that Tesla is pretty fussy about what meets their definition of a 'destination'. If a hotel up there applied, they might get it. But I wouldn't want to bet on the resort itself getting one or two for a public parking lot.

As well, the HPWC's don't look as robust as the commercially-available charge stations. Unless they put the HPWC in a sheltered space, I question how long the unit would last out in the elements, getting abused by everyone that pulls in to charge. And finally, HPWC doesn't help the Leaf or Prius that pulls in.

I've got an HPWC in my garage and I'm considering another for our ski condo, but if I was running a company serving the general public, I'd probably look to the Sun Country unit instead.... unless Tesla was going to offer their product for free.

For sure. But what I've found is that Tesla is pretty fussy about what meets their definition of a 'destination'. If a hotel up there applied, they might get it. But I wouldn't want to bet on the resort itself getting one or two for a public parking lot.

As well, the HPWC's don't look as robust as the commercially-available charge stations. Unless they put the HPWC in a sheltered space, I question how long the unit would last out in the elements, getting abused by everyone that pulls in to charge. And finally, HPWC doesn't help the Leaf or Prius that pulls in.

I've got an HPWC in my garage and I'm considering another for our ski condo, but if I was running a company serving the general public, I'd probably look to the Sun Country unit instead.... unless Tesla was going to offer their product for free.

Tesla is pretty open about supplying equipment with the Destination Charging Program. Their main requirements are a business with a good reputation and an install in a "prominent" location. If the business meets those requirements, it's pretty easy to get Tesla to ante up 2 HPWC's and a J1772 unit, sometimes helping with install costs, also.

I've seen plenty of HPWC's installed outside and they seem to be handling the elements, and are rated for an outdoor install.

Kelowna Supercharger Construction Update - 9 November 2015

For those of you whose curiosity surpasses your patience:

IMG_20151109_121943.jpg

The vault for the Fortis transformer is on the left. I believe that the black bagged stalls went in today. I don't know where things are at wrt the actual chargers. A cable pulling truck left around noon and the trench around the side of the hotel was being prepared for asphalt.

LOL, well you better get driving if you hope to manage that trick at the Kelowna site!!! ;-)
Well, if Kelowna goes the way that Hope did, I would say that Doug has plenty of time to drive on out from Ottawa. He could even take the warm route through Florida, Texas, California and be here within 3 months!

- - - Updated - - -

There are 3 different signs at the Kelowna supercharger.

One stall is signed as no parking except to charge:
IMG_20151114_110805.jpg

Four stalls are signed for 1 hour parking between 7am and 10 pm:
IMG_20151114_110833.jpg

And 3 stalls are signed as below:

IMG_20151114_110852.jpg

The parking lot where the supercharger is located is not busy during the day. Not sure how busy it is at night, but hopefully at least the one stall will remain un-ICEd. I find Tesla's choice of signage to be confusing. They should stick with with the "No Parking, Except to Charge" signs.