Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We've always had EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a map of electric vehicle charging stations in Chicago from the 1920s.

Here's a map of electric vehicle charging stations in Chicago from the 1920s.

Amazing!

I'll have to argue with the misleading title.
"We've always had EVs"
Should be:
" We had EVs but they weren't competitive against ICE once the electric starter was developed"

Those early EVs topped out at about 25 mph. They also went away from about 1930 until 1997, when the EV1, RAV4EV, and Honda EV+ came out.

I'll have to argue with the misleading title.
"We've always had EVs"
Should be:
" We had EVs but they weren't competitive against ICE once the electric starter was developed"

Those early EVs topped out at about 25 mph. They also went away from about 1930 until 1997, when the EV1, RAV4EV, and Honda EV+ came out.

Well the link in the first post mentions an EV reached 60 mph in 1899, but generally design was a weight tradeoff between speed and range (weight is still a tradeoff today for modern EV"s). Even the Ford Model T in production at the time only reached 42 mph, so I don't know if a 25 mph top speed was a primary issue for urban driving... But probably both fuel sources and top speed became more important once driving outside of urban areas became more prevalent...

• Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch
Well the link in the first post mentions an EV reached 60 mph in 1899, but generally design was a weight tradeoff between speed and range (weight is still a tradeoff today for modern EV"s). Even the Ford Model T in production at the time only reached 42 mph, so I don't know if a 25 mph top speed was a primary issue for urban driving... But probably both fuel sources and top speed became more important once driving outside of urban areas became more prevalent...
Yep, basically, the problem with early EVs was the Lead-Acid battery. It had poor volumetric and gravimetric energy and power density (Wh/l, W/l, Wh/kg, and W/kg).
Motor technology at the time was a secondary limitation.
Today's Li-ion and NiMH batteries as well as brushless motors and solid-state inverters have made a huge difference, making EVs viable against ICE again.

Not bad. Unfortunately, they missed one very pivotal period of the rebirth of the EV: The 1990's EVs in California, lead by the GM-Impact/EV1. Given the british accent of the narrator, and Europe's mis-guided efforts to solve the problems at the time with gasoline through increased fuel economy through diesel and micro-cars, rather than finding a sustainable technological approach. I assume they are not aware of that pioneering effort over here in the uncultured colonies.

• Funny
Reactions: jboy210
Not bad. Unfortunately, they missed one very pivotal period of the rebirth of the EV: The 1990's EVs in California, lead by the GM-Impact/EV1. Given the british accent of the narrator, and Europe's mis-guided efforts to solve the problems at the time with gasoline through increased fuel economy through diesel and micro-cars, rather than finding a sustainable technological approach. I assume they are not aware of that pioneering effort over here in the uncultured colonies.
They mention the Prius and the Tesla Roadster but did skip over the EV1 (which people loved).

They mention the Prius and the Tesla Roadster but did skip over the EV1 (which people loved).
Keep in mind that the Prius was Toyota's choice over their RAV4EV (which people also loved, possibly more than the EV1). Conveniently, the gas guzzling, unsustainable Prius (no better than european diesel or micro-cars) managed to snow the naive environmental community to give them green washing credit without having to disrupt anything. Toyota crushed as many of them as they could before we threatened to expose what they were doing just as we exposed what GM was doing with the EV1.
The only difference between GM and Toyota was that, after being called out, Toyota chose to stop taking RAV4EVs away from lessees and crushing them, at least until they tried to get them repaired by Toyota.