Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s better for heat

Which is better

• Blue with white interior

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • White white interios

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

asanz

Feb 13, 2023
Miami
I am in South Florida and considering the two combinations for 2k. Either white with induction wheels or blue with white interior. Which combination makes is better to reduce heat in the model y?

You will feel cooler with the white interior. With either color vehicle you will want to add ceramic tint [film] to the windshield, side windows and rear glass. You may want to add ceramic tint [film] to the glass roof although the glass roof is factory tinted and treated to reject IR and UV. Also, an interior sun shade for the roof really helps when the sun is out. 70% ceramic tint film is barely visible but will keep the interior of the Tesla Model Y much cooler during the daytime.

Last edited:
Agree with Jcanoe except to say I will use the term "ceramic film" instead of ceramic tint. Meaning if you prefer to not have any tint, then you can select a ceramic film that is almost clear and still give superior results against UV and IR. That is what I did, and it made a big difference.

With respect to adding film to the windshield, it is - at least in my state - illegal to darken it past the visor line.

I’m wondering, however, if you guys have experience with any type of clear film used solely for protection and heat rejection? Thought I saw some clear films on the interwebs that claim to block UV while also being able to keep rocks from cracking the glass.

With respect to adding film to the windshield, it is - at least in my state - illegal to darken it past the visor line.

I’m wondering, however, if you guys have experience with any type of clear film used solely for protection and heat rejection? Thought I saw some clear films on the interwebs that claim to block UV while also being able to keep rocks from cracking the glass.
It depends; each state DMV regulates window tinting, sets the limit for windshield, side and rear window tinting. At a minimum you can add a tint film to the AS-1 line. This is defined as the top 5 inches of the windshield.

A 70% tint film (passes 70% while removing 30% of the visible light spectrum) is barely noticeable. A good ceramic tint film such as Expel Prime or 3M Crystalline, rated at 70%, will effectively filter UV and Infrared rays from the sun while barely affecting visible light transmission.

I had the white interior on my M3 and now black on my MY and I live in AZ. IMHO get which color you prefer along with the tint as others have mentioned for sure. Be aware the white interior will make your window tint look lighter just FYI - my wife didn't care for that although the white was nice otherwise. If you leave your car out cooking in the sun the interior color won't make much difference.

Not quite Kosher in Florida either but that never stands in anyone's way! 😅

I am in South Florida and considering the two combinations for 2k. Either white with induction wheels or blue with white interior. Which combination makes is better to reduce heat in the model y?
I have white exterior and black interior on my Y. Tinting windows including front really helps and I have an interior sunscreen for the roof. Despite whatever the factory tint on the roof is supposed to do, IMHO, it does not. My MS is blk/blk purchased up north. Tinting in that car made all the difference as well.