Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s your longest FSD Trip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As title states, what’s the longest trip you’ve gone on with FSD engaged? Did you have any issues? What type of driving conditions (road, time of day, etc.)?

Didn’t have to be on 100% of the time, but at least 90%.

My longest so far was a few trips of about 20 miles, day and night 100% engaged in light to moderate traffic until off ramp.

I did have one trip where the car phantom braked and scared the crap out of me though.

I assume you mean NOA. I commute 150 miles on the interstate several times a week using NOA without stops. Meaning I get on the interstate and let the car do the driving. Occasionally I have to correct what the car wants to do, but that's rare. I have done longer trips but 150 miles is about the longest I would go without stopping to charge.

Hi DrtyJrze,

I am a model X owner recently upgraded to HW3 for FSD.
My longest drive for FSD and NOA was 1300 miles.
Mostly on the interstate but 100 miles on long stretches of non interstate...
It was great!!! Very relaxing over multiple days...
From south Michigan to South Florida...
Conditions: Night, day, dry, but not very wet...

It has handled lane changes very nicely.
It occasionally did its ping pong trick - I could not identify a reason for the ping pong.
It was not frequent and did the ping pong both on auto steering only and on NOA...

The FSD handled the mountains through Kentucky and Tennessee very well.
Passing trucks through the curves - it performed very well.

One other peculiarity - it likes the center lane of three and passes to the left,
returns to the center and stays there...
It does not bother me much. When I wish to return to the right lane
I use the turn signal to "force" it into the right lane...

I will make the return trip Wednesday and I am looking forward to the trip...

Shawn

3,300 miles but there was about 300 miles I had it off because of the speed restriction and canyon carving. God Bless Utah. I actually drove 29 hours straight and there was no way I would have done that without NOA.

That’s amazing! I was asking because I was thinking about a trip to Florida (17hours). It’s not a difficult drive, just long and boring. I’m sure FSD can handle it and would help with fatigue.

Reactions: Tron 3
I posted on Twitter/Instagram our trip to Florida over the holidays from Michigan. Granted, I could have done a better job at organizing the posts, all of the information is there for our trip. I used NOA as much as possible for this trip. The drive back was similar but split between 3 days. Round trip was about 2,600 miles on NOA.

2,800 miles NOA from Denver to Louisville then down to Nashville and back home.
I’m sure FSD can handle it and would help with fatigue.

In my 64 years, I've never had a more relaxing road trip. We've all been doing it all our lives, but never had anything else to compare it to. It came clear to me the amount of mental effort driving takes on that trip. All the little things like staying between the lines, the speed, the situational awareness. So much you can off-load to the car now. Just monitoring the car's operation is so much easier!

Reactions: DrtyJrze and PACEMD
drive ~400 miles each way from SoCal to NorCal a few times per year. EAP on nearly all the way. (Don't use NOA -- too annoying in SoCal traffic.)

Mostly interstate.

Auto-steer, TACC, and auto-lane change work great.

The only issue is phantom breaking once per trip. But not a big deal as all one has to do is hit the accelerator.