Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What about a 5th wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It just dawned on me... Can you even use a 5th wheel with the CT? Thinking about it's design and the entire bottom being battery packs, I can't imagine it being easy to get to the points you'd need to in order to bolt down a 5th wheel attachment and my searches have found nothing on being able to get one. That said, I've never had a need to do a 5th wheel tow. Is there any disadvantages to not being able to use a 5th wheel with the CT? I know you can get a trailer large enough to potentially have 11k lb weight when filled and still be able to tow it with a tow ball (though I believe you are starting to push the limits of a standard tow hitch when you are at that weight as now you are putting 1500lbs or so on the tow ball). Maybe there is no reason to need the ability to add a 5th wheel to a CT with it's current specs?

It just dawned on me... Can you even use a 5th wheel with the CT? Thinking about it's design and the entire bottom being battery packs, I can't imagine it being easy to get to the points you'd need to in order to bolt down a 5th wheel attachment and my searches have found nothing on being able to get one. That said, I've never had a need to do a 5th wheel tow. Is there any disadvantages to not being able to use a 5th wheel with the CT? I know you can get a trailer large enough to potentially have 11k lb weight when filled and still be able to tow it with a tow ball (though I believe you are starting to push the limits of a standard tow hitch when you are at that weight as now you are putting 1500lbs or so on the tow ball). Maybe there is no reason to need the ability to add a 5th wheel to a CT with it's current specs?
This has been talked about a lot. The elephant that you are missing and a major key are the sails on the side.

sails? Are the side walls of the bed really so high that you can't use a 5th wheel?

I don't see how those sails are going to let you turn.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck vault sub-trunk fully opened! + Tonneau cover and tailgate lowering in action! mOTF9G1

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck vault sub-trunk fully opened! + Tonneau cover and tailgate lowering in action! xvP2l6l

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck vault sub-trunk fully opened! + Tonneau cover and tailgate lowering in action! TFk1zsa

I don't see how those sails are going to let you turn.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck vault sub-trunk fully opened! + Tonneau cover and tailgate lowering in action! mOTF9G1

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck vault sub-trunk fully opened! + Tonneau cover and tailgate lowering in action! xvP2l6l

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck vault sub-trunk fully opened! + Tonneau cover and tailgate lowering in action! TFk1zsa
While I couldn't find any specs on the depth of the bed front to back etc, take a look at the photos on this page. Especially the first one with the bicycle standing up in the bed. That wheel doesn't look that tall. It looks like the bed depth at the high point is similar to the depth of a other trucks, but perhaps I'm wrong.

While I couldn't find any specs on the depth of the bed front to back etc, take a look at the photos on this page. Especially the first one with the bicycle standing up in the bed. That wheel doesn't look that tall. It looks like the bed depth at the high point is similar to the depth of an other trucks, but perhaps I'm wrong.
I can barely clear my bed rails with my f350. No way the CT will clear without some special hitch

Due to the Bed Storage Bin location the 5th Wheel or Gooseneck Ball would be far forward of the rear axle. You don't have access to the Frame Rails like you do on a regular Truck. I'm sure you could get a Fabricator to build something custom but I doubt it would be cost effective. Look at all the Fab work that went into that Tesla that they turned into an open bed. You will have to reinforce those unibody frame rails.

I just realized, I didn't post the link.

Most other truck beds as ~21-22”deep. That mountain bike has 29” tall (diameter) tires. From the head tube to the center of the rear hub is ~3’. The head tube is hanging over the bed.

The tire appears to me to be below the side rail of the CT. My estimate is that 2-2.5” from the inside of the tailgate the side sails are at least 30”high. So the side rails are likely ~10” higher then a traditional
Bed 1/3 to 1/2 way back from the tail gate. Likely at least 20” higher at the cab.

So almost no way could do a 5th wheel with out an insanely high goose neck.