Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What About the ABRP Charging Model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning a long trip for my M3 SR+ and have been reviewing the route for charging stops. I had read about ABRP and entered my route.

It shows the route and the charging stops. It also shows the time spent at each charging stop. Each stop is less than an hour; it estimates the battery on my SR+ would be about 10% when stopping at the charger.

If I stop and charge for less than an hour, it is likely the car is super charging (high rate of charge) almost the whole time.

I wonder if this strategy is healthy for the battery. Thoughts?

Joe

For one off trips you will be fine. If this was an everyday thing DC charging isn't the best.
Also with ABRP it tries to keep you in that sweet supercharging speed so that means below 80% if possible and start charging at the lowest possible 10%. which is much better for the battery then super charging to 100% every time. So 4 stops charging 10%-60% is better than 2 stops 10% to 100% and should be faster.

and on a side note it is much better mentally to stop for 4 (15) min breaks then 2 (45) min breaks as it is much easier to occupy your time for 15 mins then 45 mins at a time.

Reactions: Rocky_H
There's a loooot more variables, so honestly, we have no idea. Like most battery things, it's complex.

For example, a 15 minute charge at lower SoC means your battery is way cooler than if you spent 50 minutes charging to a higher SoC. The car will actively heat the battery much more at high SoC to maintain higher charge rates, and it will also just be hot for longer than if you did short charges. Most common knowledge on Li-ion batteries states that charging while hot is bad - so perhaps having it less hot and for a shorter amount of time is actually better, so the ABRP methodology is better for the battery packs.

It's one of those things that becomes micro-optimisation of your battery health, so you need to be damn sure that you are correct to get the results you're hoping for. And we just cannot be that sure! So I'll say "just charge however and it's fine", which is a very abnormal approach for me.

Reactions: KenC and Rocky_H