Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anything to accurately predict charge times? (including ABRP, etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just confirming that there is nothing within the car, Tesla app, ABRP, etc that can be setup to more accurately reflect times?
I've got a 15' 85D with MCU1.

The driving estimates are bad (unless you're continuing on a constant path, speed, terrain for many miles). So every time(several times a week) I drive to a town 70 miles away and put on another 100 miles in town. Then when I plot the return trip (which takes about 30%) it shows that I'll need more than 50%.

Worse yet are the charging estimates. Not sure what algorithm they are based on, but definitely NOT mine which may hit 100KW VERY briefly near 10%, but over about 20% it's pretty consistently close to 100KW-battery%

Anyway, just wanted to confirm that I'm not missing some settings somewhere where I could get Tesla, ABRP, Tessie etc to more accurately reflect charges, percentages, etc either by learning or by me manually entering some data...

If you’re talking about supercharging specifically, you never know what charge rate you’re going to get, so there’s no way to accurately estimate your charging time.
If you’re talking about supercharging specifically, you never know what charge rate you’re going to get, so there’s no way to accurately estimate your charging time.
To some degree that's true. But for me in my situation I can reliably tell you as listed above. I'm charging right now and at 51% so I can tell you that yes I am at 48kw. It's quite reliably 100kw minus battery percentage at around 20% and up.

To some degree that's true. But for me in my situation I can reliably tell you as listed above. I'm charging right now and at 51% so I can tell you that yes I am at 48kw. It's quite reliably 100kw minus battery percentage at around 20% and up.
Your battery is a little tired I’m afraid. I get 110-SOC% in kW, so 10 kW more than you are getting, and my car’s charge time predictions are pretty good. I use EVTO rather than ABRP, and it predicts ok too. Not sure what you can do other than wait for an OTA improvement, but I am on MCU 2 and strongly recommend it. It makes lots of things better (except for radio and reversing camera!) so worth getting if you are keeping the car for a while, and also if you are thinking of selling it I think a lot of buyers would expect it.

Your battery is a little tired I’m afraid. I get 110-SOC% in kW, so 10 kW more than you are getting, and my car’s charge time predictions are pretty good. I use EVTO rather than ABRP, and it predicts ok too. Not sure what you can do other than wait for an OTA improvement, but I am on MCU 2 and strongly recommend it. It makes lots of things better (except for radio and reversing camera!) so worth getting if you are keeping the car for a while, and also if you are thinking of selling it I think a lot of buyers would expect it.
Wait, what does mcu2 do to the backup camera?

This will be off-topic (there are other threads on this from when MCU2 upgrades first came out). Initially the reversing camera worked very poorly in low light conditions following the swap. Tesla did some OTA fixes which made it better - but I don’t think it is quite as good.
Dont let that put you off. Maybe one of the extra software releases will fix your calculation issue (long shot though).

Yes, it seems likely that my 8 year old 318K mile 85D is on it's original battery so I'm not surprised it's a bit tired and is around 19% degradation.
I've not done the full time comparison, but I'm used to the static reply of "40 minutes remaining" that ends up being like an hour, or much above 60% and it It just keeps saying 10 minutes left even after 10 minutes have passed, etc...
I'm on-board for MCU2 if not for the cost. Trying to get this car to pay for itself and it hasn't been "bad" exactly, but between tires, wheels, suspension components, alignments and a window regulator off the top of my head, the first 3 months have only further deepened the whole in my pocket... Hoping this is is just the initial hump to get over.