Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are good upfront investments to make in your Tesla??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello guys and gals! Am in works of taking delivery on a Used Tesla model S 2016 P90. As the thread states, I wanted to get peoples thoughts/ideas on what are good purchases to make upfront in order for my Tesla (which i plan to keep till the battery dries out) to keep running/looking and overall performing well throughout it's lifetime.

Some things that i plan on doing for sure are:
a) Ceramic coating as well as clear bra (likely just the front hood)
b) Allweather mats through out the Car/trunk and frunk

additional advise?

Thanks and very happy to be part of the Tesla family!:)

Hello guys and gals! Am in works of taking delivery on a Used Tesla model S 2016 P90. As the thread states, I wanted to get peoples thoughts/ideas on what are good purchases to make upfront in order for my Tesla (which i plan to keep till the battery dries out) to keep running/looking and overall performing well throughout it's lifetime.

additional advise?

Welcome to the Tesla family!

a) Ceramic Coatings are excellent for enhancing the finish and adding extreme ease of maintenance but please note they do NOT add protection from rock chips, scratches, etc. If the finish of your Model S is in good shape, you may want to consider Paint Protection Film first and then Ceramic Coating on top. To learn more about coatings including the differences between them and paint protection films, check out the video below from YouTuber and fellow Tesla owner, Engineering Explained.
Everything You Need to Know About Ceramic Coatings

b) Weathertech for the win.

• Informative
Reactions: TeamC
Just drive it and figure out what you need as you need it. You'll know soon enough. As for paint coatings and ceramics, consider that by the time your car is old, no one will want to buy it (new battery!), so pristine paint on a car no one will buy doesn't make much monetary sense. It is strictly a feel good thing.

If you don't already have it :

1. A NEMA 14-50 socket in your garage close to the left rear side of your car where the charge port is. To get this installed you need 50A 240V breaker, 6/3 copper cable (6 gauge 3 connectors + ground) of sufficient length to get to the socket. Either get electrician to install it or just certify your install passes safety.
2. In San Jose you don't have snow or rain or mud, but if you might drive to where it snows or rains a lot, custom rubber mats for seating area from costco (3D MAXPIDER - what I use) or Oedro.com (according to some owners here) or from tesla.com.
3. A car paint kit for your exact color of the car and a sheet each of 1000 grit and 3000 grit sandpaper to patch any accidental scratches - much cheaper than the bra or ceramic coatings etc. Bra for front end is fine. But there are lots of areas in the car that get get scratched or dinged and patching them is a fun skill to learn that will make you happy once you practice enough to make a decent job at it.

Last edited:
5A513418-70A4-4C6D-A0AE-824428DC0B99.jpeg
759C1B83-11BB-4DCD-9961-989C7B0EF913.jpeg
B11BD130-8BE6-4EFD-A57B-6931C00546D2.jpeg

Attachments

• C14C52BD-8236-4F32-814B-CE55990544ED.jpeg
    C14C52BD-8236-4F32-814B-CE55990544ED.jpeg
    303.7 KB · Views: 32
Best investment you can make is spending some time learning about:
1) How auto pilot works, when to use it, and what it can and cannot do.
2) Reading the manual from beginning to end.
3) How to enable recording on sentry mode and dashcam, and what hardware you need to make it work.
4) Apps that capture data using the tesla API, such as Teslafi
5) Supercharging - paired stalls, idle fees, what to expect for speed, etc.
6) Plugshare, getting an account and app to help you find charging sources other than superchargers when away from home.

Reactions: jatt84

additional advise?

We just took delivery of our first Tesla, a used 2016 Model S 90D. I just ordered the 3D Maxpider mats this morning from Amazon, there was a used, like new set. I'm considering getting frunk and trunk mats also.

I'm looking to get a clear bra for the front half and ceramic coating over the top. And a keychain, my wife's key gets lost in her purse easily. :)