Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are the cameras supposed to display on screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my Model Y last week and it’s my first Tesla so the Tesla Vision and all that is new to me. I’ve noticed as I drive through parking lots or in my driveway that it often doesn’t detect cars directly in front of me or to the side. Is it not supposed to show cars at slow speeds or when I’m driving? Or is just genuinely not seeing the Suburban three feet to my right?

Good question. First to say your car isn't doing anything greatly different than any other Tesla with current software. "Seeing" and "processing" cars and other objects vs displaying them are two different things. Just because they are not always displayed on the screen doesn't mean the car isn't seeing them. You'll notice that as software improves, so does the ability to display objects. For now, you will sometimes not see other vehicles in parking lots and similar areas. Same goes for parking spaces.... hit and miss.

When backing up you can swipe up on the backup camera view. This will add the side repeater camera images to the screen (although the center backup camera image will be smaller on the screen.) To turn off the expanded backup camera view just swipe down.

Good question. First to say your car isn't doing anything greatly different than any other Tesla with current software. "Seeing" and "processing" cars and other objects vs displaying them are two different things. Just because they are not always displayed on the screen doesn't mean the car isn't seeing them. You'll notice that as software improves, so does the ability to display objects. For now, you will sometimes not see other vehicles in parking lots and similar areas. Same goes for parking spaces.... hit and miss.
I was wondering if the car is seeing it but not showing me or if it's just not seeing it. It just doesn't make me very confident for autopilot. I drove down the interstate and sometimes it doesn't render the cars it sees on screen and I just didn't know if that meant Autopilot didn't see it or if it just wasn't rendering.

Post a pic.

AP_Foothills_Arastradero.jpg

Got my Model Y last week and it’s my first Tesla so the Tesla Vision and all that is new to me. I’ve noticed as I drive through parking lots or in my driveway that it often doesn’t detect cars directly in front of me or to the side. Is it not supposed to show cars at slow speeds or when I’m driving? Or is just genuinely not seeing the Suburban three feet to my right?