Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are you guys doing while waiting for delivery ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK. Thanks. So Tesla is now making N. American cars in Fremont - for sure.

Now, California to NJ on a train should NOT take a several weeks. Even Tesla could only screw it up to take 2-3 weeks. You live in a densely populated area and Fremont needs to get rid of new builds. Are you sure they weren't just full of it?

I just can't imagine it will take several weeks! Good luck.

they repeated over and over it won’t be any time soon. It will be several weeks or early December. They said rail is way slower than truck delivery and supposedly Tesla just switched over to rail. It kind of makes sense. Train has to make a bunch of stops, unload cars. While a truck can just drive with 10 cars to a specific sales center in a straight line

they repeated over and over it won’t be any time soon. It will be several weeks or early December. They said rail is way slower than truck delivery and supposedly Tesla just switched over to rail. It kind of makes sense. Train has to make a bunch of stops, unload cars. While a truck can just drive with 10 cars to a specific sales center in a straight line

forgot to mention - they literally showed me the screen shot of the internal Tesla software that says the date my car was built (yesterday) and the status reads “ready for transport to rail station”

so a truck is taking it to a train. A train has to make a million stops as it treks across the country. And then Another truck has to pick up YM car and bring it to my service center. I can definitely see how that could take several weeks

forgot to mention - they literally showed me the screen shot of the internal Tesla software that says the date my car was built (yesterday) and the status reads “ready for transport to rail station”

so a truck is taking it to a train. A train has to make a million stops as it treks across the country. And then Another truck has to pick up YM car and bring it to my service center. I can definitely see how that could take several weeks
What happened to this "seamless flow logistics" that Tesla has been talking about. One train with many stops? You got to be kidding.

One thing has crossed my mind - do you think Tesla is making US cars along side some US cars? For most of Europe they can be the same. Vins can be the same too.

What you are describing seems like a really low level of production. I mean Tesla in Fremont has easily the capability of 5000-7000 cars a week. That's non-stop trains everywhere.

When I was waiting for my car, I spent a little time to setup the Tesla Wall Charger at home.

Installed a 240V 50 Amp circuit with 14-50 receptacle. Ordered the (now discontinued) 14-50 Tesla Wall Charger. All plugged-in, ready for the car to be delivered. And wait. :)

you must have gotten that off eBay. They aren’t even in stock

you know the 50 amp circuit will throttle
Down then speed with which you charge right? The connector has the ability to function at 48 amps. The 50 amp circuit will operate at 40 amps. Not a huge difference but it’s definitely something

White AWD LR, black interior, aero wheels, no FSD. California.
47 days on average for that trim.

But that includes orders that were placed in 2018.

Orders placed in Jan and Feb ’19 took 27 days. March 36 days. April 24 days. May 21 days. June 19 days. July and Aug 26 days.

For reference, orders placed back in April 2018, people waited around 130 days.

These are all based on history of course, and are only reliable if the factory hasn’t drastically changed its delivery strategy.

• Helpful
Reactions: dandrewk
OK. Thanks. So Tesla is now making N. American cars in Fremont - for sure.

Now, California to NJ on a train should NOT take a several weeks. Even Tesla could only screw it up to take 2-3 weeks. You live in a densely populated area and Fremont needs to get rid of new builds. Are you sure they weren't just full of it?

I just can't imagine it will take several weeks! Good luck.

I have great doubts that this is the case. Unfortunately. @Luso7's latest VIN number has again been pulled.

Also, if they were currently building them for N. America, I would expect to see newer VINs show up in the spreadsheet, along with scatterings of MY 2020 listings on Tezz.la. Since the deposit was drastically reduced, I think we are all in agreement that many of these are "soft" deposits and will be declined. That VIN would then go to the next in line for the same trim/options. At that point, we'd see lots of the newer VINs. So far, only a smattering of 537xxx are listed.

I am a glass is half full type person, but it's still a guess as to what they are building. I'd love to see more hard evidence. In fact, -I can't wait- to see more hard evidence!

I have great doubts that this is the case. Unfortunately. @Luso7's latest VIN number has again been pulled.

Also, if they were currently building them for N. America, I would expect to see newer VINs show up in the spreadsheet, along with scatterings of MY 2020 listings on Tezz.la. Since the deposit was drastically reduced, I think we are all in agreement that many of these are "soft" deposits and will be declined. That VIN would then go to the next in line for the same trim/options. At that point, we'd see lots of the newer VINs. So far, only a smattering of 537xxx are listed.

I am a glass is half full type person, but it's still a guess as to what they are building. I'd love to see more hard evidence. In fact, -I can't wait- to see more hard evidence!

Tesla is not being very helpful - especially given that it is not in their best interests to make everyone expect the worst. This is doubly true for “soft orders” - and it makes absolutely no sense why they would even encourage soft orders with a $100 deposit.

Also, two things directly contradict one another. Tesla says that date of order matters - but general patterns indicate that east goes first and west coast goes last. Thats one contradiction. Another is that Elon Musk has said many times that he wants to improve delivery logistics. The best way to deliver the most cars is to ship them everywhere as they are made.

Last minute crunches do not work. Christmas crunches are absolutely insane.

I can only conclude that we have no real data to know where cars are going. One or two cars in the past week does not show a pattern. The bottom line is that we must assume that US production has not started, and may not start for quite some time. That’s unfortunate for many of us.

Tesla is not being very helpful - especially given that it is not in their best interests to make everyone expect the worst. This is doubly true for “soft orders” - and it makes absolutely no sense why they would even encourage soft orders with a $100 deposit.

Also, two things directly contradict one another. Tesla says that date of order matters - but general patterns indicate that east goes first and west coast goes last. Thats one contradiction. Another is that Elon Musk has said many times that he wants to improve delivery logistics. The best way to deliver the most cars is to ship them everywhere as they are made.

Last minute crunches do not work. Christmas crunches are absolutely insane.

I can only conclude that we have no real data to know where cars are going. One or two cars in the past week does not show a pattern. The bottom line is that we must assume that US production has not started, and may not start for quite some time. That’s unfortunate for many of us.
All I know is the second vin I Had and then lost was labeled as “awaiting rail transport” from Fremont. Meaning it was waiting to leave the factory. Even if it doesn’t come to me. I assume it’s going somewhere stateside. Which would mean production is on

47 days on average for that trim.

But that includes orders that were placed in 2018.

Orders placed in Jan and Feb ’19 took 27 days. March 36 days. April 24 days. May 21 days. June 19 days. July and Aug 26 days.

For reference, orders placed back in April 2018, people waited around 130 days.

These are all based on history of course, and are only reliable if the factory hasn’t drastically changed its delivery strategy.

very good info and aligns closely to what my local tesla people told me which was that on avg they were seeing 21 days for delivery in my area. I ordered in the begining of the Oct so I'm thinking I'll see it mid Nov.

The best way to deliver the most cars is to ship them everywhere as they are made.
This would be true if it were free to deliver cars and carriers were unlimited. It would also result in a quicker delivery for most customers. Being that Tesla is attempting to deliver 7,000-8,000 cars a week, they need to batch vehicles as much as possible to maximize limited carrier resources and keep costs down.

Last edited:
All I know is the second vin I Had and then lost was labeled as “awaiting rail transport” from Fremont. Meaning it was waiting to leave the factory. Even if it doesn’t come to me. I assume it’s going somewhere stateside. Which would mean production is on

And you believe everything the Tesla website and/or sales/delivery associates?

I'd dearly love to believe it's true. Most likely though, you got assigned that VIN by error. That VIN is very likely awaiting rail transport... to the east coast, for shipping to Europe.

And you believe everything the Tesla website and/or sales/delivery associates?

I'd dearly love to believe it's true. Most likely though, you got assigned that VIN by error. That VIN is very likely awaiting rail transport... to the east coast, for shipping to Europe.

she texted me a picture of their internal system that showed the tracking of the vin. The vin was also on my account. Why would it be destined for Europe but randomly assigned to me?

she texted me a picture of their internal system that showed the tracking of the vin. The vin was also on my account. Why would it be destined for Europe but randomly assigned to me?

I don't know. If it had stayed assigned to you, well that is solid proof of NA production. I really want this to be true, but won't get my hopes up just yet.

I was bummed that it disappeared from your account page. Hopefully, given your situation, they can quickly get you the car you want and make amends for their snafu.

They probably were trying to get you a car to make up for their previous screw up. Someone may have tried to allocate something from avEuropean production run, and blew it.