Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are your favorite solar-related YouTube channels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

willow_hiller

Apr 3, 2019
Maryland
I watch quite a few Tesla related YouTube channels, but I'm having trouble finding good, informative content around residential solar systems and battery storage. I'm interested in learning more about the electrical engineering behind panels/optimizers/inverters, how systems fit together, and generally entertaining content to pass the time while I'm waiting for my system to be installed.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

I enjoy Engineer 775; They have a wide range of installs and also do storage. One of my pet-peeves about his installs is he has this weird obsession with directly powering stuff with solar.

I think people often make solar PV a bit more complicated than it really is. I boil system design to a few guiding principles;

• Choose to get taxed on 'net' production not 'gross' production; Why invert before line losses when you can invert after? (Put your inverter near the meter not near the panels)
  • Higher voltage is better for sending power. 400vDC beats 240vAV. Again... put your inverter near the meter not the panels.
  • Bigger is always better; Grid-tied is best, if off-grid don't split your system up with separate solar-powered appliances.
  • Simplicity is king. Optimizers are rarely worth the cost.
The electrical side is pretty straight forward. It's more the mechanical side that interests me. How did they handle wire management? How are the ground mount posts installed?