Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90 HV battery replaced with 1099841- 90-A, but issues charging.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our older Tesla, a P90D, recently had its battery pack replaced with the following battery part number: 1099841-90-A.

The good thing is that the new rated range at 100% is 260 miles.

The bad thing is that my charging speeds have become wonky after the new battery, and the Tesla service center is being dismissive.

With the new battery, I can charge at a V3 SC up to a peak of 180kW if I arrive under 25% SOC. However, it only stays there for 3-5 minutes before immediately dropping down to 80kW max for the rest of the charging session. (Eventually going down to about 50kW at around 70-80%). This is the same regardless whether I precondition for 5 min, 10 min, 30 min, 1 hour—or not even precondition at all and go in cold with just 10 minutes of local driving. Nor does it matter whether the temperature outside is 45 degrees or 70 degrees.
Also, if I begin a charge at a higher SOC like 50%, it will never go above 50kW at any point.

Also, the fan has never come on since I got the new battery. Never during a charging session at any point, even when I charge from 10 to 90%.

Previously with the old battery, I could maintain over 100kW for quite some time, and the fan would be on.

I mentioned this to the service center, and I initially got this silly response: “Our superchargers default to 80% state of charge limit when the superchargers are busy.” That was all what the tech notes said in the summary. When I pressed further to explain as that has nothing to do with my concern, they just tell me my car is charging as it should normally.

Can someone tell me what may be the cause?
Thank you in advance.

I’d just hate to accept this as fact when I’m on a long road trip and can only charge at best 50-80kW at a supercharger (and since my previous battery allowed far better charging experience).

Last edited: