Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do I need for charging on road trips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good God, you don't need any of that stuff and you certainly don't need to plan ahead, assuming you will be on interstate highways.

Failure to plan is planning to fail.

Tesla may be great at maintaining superchargers, but power failures to sites do happen. Idiots hit power line poles, excavator hits an underground line, switchgear failure, transformer pops, unplanned detour, etc. Right now there just aren't enough charging options in large swaths of the country to just wing it. Maybe along the I-5, I-95 corridors, sure don't plan ahead. Everywhere else, it really pays to know your options.

Superchargers are all you need for most road trips. If you see you will be in that rare place where there are not a lot of SC then you need to make additional plans and possibly get the CCS adapter for using non Tesla charging stations.

I visit friends and family about 3-4 times a year. The Mobile Connector using 240 volts when visiting friends and family works well for me, and is very convenient to not have to use SC as we do not just stay put for a long weekend and are always doing a lot of driving. That will require a little knowledge of the location and type dryer receptacle and if they are willing to let you use it. This Tesla extension cord, along with the NEMA 10-30 and 14-30 adaptor cords for the MC, is what I use:

This keeps the MC electronics indoors, which might not be the case if you use a regular extension cord.

Or perhaps they have and EV and have a NEMA 14-50 in their garage you can use.

I don't carry the MC and Tesla extension cord in the car unless I am going to a friend/family house as these items are heavy.

Keep the J1772 adaptor in the car to use at hotels and other L2 chargers you might come across.

If you are new to Tesla, I strongly recommend you install a Tesla Wall Connector in your garage, or where you park the Tesla, if at all possible.

If you are a new Tesla owner or if it has been a while since you last used the Supercharger network, before taking a road trip in your Tesla vehicle, drive to the closest Supercharger and verify that you can charge your Tesla vehicle using the Supercharger charging station. You need a valid credit card or debit card linked to your Tesla account to use the Supercharger network.

You can report damaged or inoperative Supercharger stations to Tesla using the Tesla app (go to Account, Charging History, you can provide feedback on your recent charging session and notify Tesla of any issues you encountered with the Supercharger location. The number-letter combination, i.e. 1A, 2B etc. of each Supercharger location, charging station is printed in bold black letters at the bottom of the charging station.

Reactions: fsb1
Good God, you don't need any of that stuff and you certainly don't need to plan ahead, assuming you will be on interstate highways. Third party DC chargers are so slow and unreliable, that I would never put myself in a position where I needed to use one. Doesn't hurt to have the J1772 adapter that came with the car (for hotels), but I wouldn't waste money on a CCS adapter unless you're really off the beaten path. We've taken six trips totaling 15,000 miles and never needed anything but the Tesla navigation telling us where to stop.
This is my experience as well. That said, I have a few adapters, including the campground one as well as a heavy gauge extension cord. I may never need some of these but I did camp with the car this spring and it was useful.

I definitely recommend the Mobile Connector that’s now sold as an accessory. I used mine this past spring plugging into a wall outlet at a rental house. If the car is parked for a day the amount of charge you’ll add is actually useful. It’s slower than standard level 2 charging but far from useless in a vacation setting where the car is parked for a day or more. I have a duffel bag with all the accessories. Otherwise I just rely on Tesla’s Supercharging network and have found it to be totally satisfactory. Road tripping in my MYLR has been a piece of cake.