Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do I need to safely do my own tire rotations.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had enough bad experiences with tire monkeys that I do my own. I have two floor jacks and I cut a block of wood to make jack pads. I use a breaker bar to remove the nuts and a torque wrench to replace them. (On the Model S, I need a 3" extension to reach the nuts... don't know about M3)

I'm using two low profile jacks from Harbor Freight - the heavy low profile ones that are around $80. I already had one and got a second one to do the Model 3 rotations. This way I can do a rearward cross.

Made my own "hockey puck" jack pads.

First rotation will be this weekend...
So your lifting the back, cross the wheels in the rear. Jack down on one side, jack up the other side more, then rotate front to back, then do the same thing to the other side?

I got this jack with an integrated safety bar from Amazon since I didn't want to pony up for special jack stands... It worked well when I rotated my tires.

Powerbuilt 620479E Xtra Low Profile Floor Jack with Safety Bar - 2 Ton Load Capacity https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OCIBPIM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_N3C0Bb57YDTQD
Interesting, looks like a good idea to me since I'm shopping for a jack anyways. However the square pad could be an issue with some adapters?

So your lifting the back, cross the wheels in the rear. Jack down on one side, jack up the other side more, then rotate front to back, then do the same thing to the other side?

Actually that would be a forward cross (technically appropriate for FWD cars). The crossing happens on the way TO the drive wheels.
I'm doing the reverse of what you stated. Jack up one side with one or both jacks, swap front and rear (bolt rear loosely). Jack up other side and do the same. Then jack up rear with both jacks and swap the rears.

• Informative
Reactions: Glamisduner
I've had enough bad experiences with tire monkeys that I do my own. I have two floor jacks and I cut a block of wood to make jack pads. I use a breaker bar to remove the nuts and a torque wrench to replace them. (On the Model S, I need a 3" extension to reach the nuts... don't know about M3)
Does one need two floor jacks to raise the car to do a back to front tire rotation? Can it be done safely with one floor jack? One floor jack and jack stand?

Does one need two floor jacks to raise the car to do a back to front tire rotation? Can it be done safely with one floor jack? One floor jack and jack stand?
I've done front to back rotations by using two floor jacks. One in the front and one in the back on the same side. I guess you could use a jack stand but it's difficult to get the stand onto the small jack point with the floor jack in place. I had one floor jack and purchased a second one to do the rotations (Harbor Freight has very reasonably priced floor jacks). It only takes a few minutes to rotate the tires so I'm not worried about having the side of the car up in the air for long. I loosen the lug nuts just a bit before jacking the car up then rotate the tires and tighten them down to about half torque (50- 75 ft-pounds) before letting the jacks down and doing the final torque (129 ft-pounds) with the wheels on the ground.
I don't have and wouldn't use an impact wrench on the car. I use a breaker bar to loosen the nuts and a torque wrench to tighten them in a cross pattern.
(Just had new snow tires put on my Land Rover at the local gas station. The bozos used an impact wrench to tighten the nuts and managed to round off a few of the nuts and damage the covers on a few others.... Aaargh!)

Tesla mobile service does front to back with a single jack by lifting high enough that both tires are off the ground (there is a picture of mobile service doing this in a tire rotation thread elsewhere). I've also done this successfully on my S60. I've been told by mobile service that they recommend single side rotations only, versus a modified cross. I tend to prefer a cross but I suppose it doesn't matter much for most people.

For doing a cross pattern I use a spare tire as a placeholder since I have only one floor jack but I realize that most people don't have that option. (Those of us who have a second set of wheels for snow tires can use one of those as a placeholder.) A second jack or jackstand would be even easier than using a placeholder.

In addition to the basic tools mentioned upthread — floor jack, breaker bar, deep socket, torque wrench, jack pad or hockey puck — I'll suggest a lug nut cap puller, if your car has lug nut caps, and a cross-type tire iron for spinning lug nuts off or on.

The most difficult part of rotating one's own tires is holding the heavy wheel up while trying to line up the lug bolts with the wheel holes. It takes a fair amount of strength and patience IME. I presume that absolutely everyone doing their own tire rotations knows how to replace lug nuts in a crosswise pattern to make sure they go on evenly. If not, please do a search for the correct technique.

If using lug nut caps, they can be used to indicate which nuts have been torqued by placing the cap back on as soon as the torque wrench is removed from that lug nut.

Last edited: