Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What does it take to get a Model 3 - aside from waiting and waiting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a Model 3 (LR AWD, red with black interior, 18" wheels, no FSD) on 10/1, could not pick it up in a 2 day time frame on 10/8 or 10/9 and was told that Tesla wouldn't hold it for longer than 2 days - so I lost it.

I reordered the car on 10/11, and have been kept in the dark, told that a stealth will not get me delivery before the 3rd week in December, even though they have a lot of them scheduled to be made - you name it! No one is sure when my AWD LR will be available - and Tesla seems to waffle a lot about it.

I have trouble picking up a car in the last 2 weeks of December because my wife is undergoing major surgery. If I lose the car again - it looks like late March - that is - if Tesla even sells to the US customers at that time. I just want this over and done with. Late December is a tall stretch as to when/if I will be able to pick it up.

Though the Model S is not really my first choice - it is a bit big for me - yet I am tempted to change my order to a Model S. My assumption is that Tesla will not give up on all that profit by restricting me for a couple days of a delivery window. Frankly I don't know what else to do. I am really sick and tired of the Tesla merry-go round.

Anyone have any experience with this? Will Tesla be a little more "customer-centric" for a Model S - or do all their customers get treated with silence and lack of real information?

Assuming its a serious question, and you want a serious answer (instead of just more "venting" or as you mentioned in another thread "sharing the process with everyone", you could purchase a used tesla from their website. If the used car is local to you, you could get it faster.

Otherwise, no I dont think switching your order to a model S will get it much faster unless the car is already in existence. If the car is already built, you could get it faster. If its not, it depends on when they are building model S cars. I dont think "the amount of profit" will change how fast they build it for you.

I understand your personal life has priority over picking up the Model 3 on the first go round. Unfortunately, the stars aligned and didnt allow you to pick up your car when it was scheduled for delivery. I can guarantee you that your car was immediately sold once it was added to inventory. The demand for this car is insane right now.
If you aren't trolling, then you really have 2 choices right?

1. You buy a used M3 and stop the wait.
2. You.. wait? (like the rest of us waiting for our orders).

That's pretty much it my man. You can complain all you want, nothing is going to change.

from what i understand and have seen so far .. customer focus and a predictable / accomodating delivery experience is not something that tesla has figured out.

i have to agree with deutsche bank -- they think that as competition heats up, these missing links in their company are going to start hurting profits.

i think that in your case you should find someone else to pick up your car and give them power of attorney to execute the neccesary paperwork.

@jonquiljo,

My goodness...589 posts and you haven’t even taken delivery of the car yet. When you first joined you seemed like you weren’t even sure you wanted a Tesla. Now you’re more impatient than a 12 year old. The car is coming. What’s another couple of weeks?

And more importantly, why haven’t you switched your AWD order to a Stealth before they are all gone? Another $2K for all that power is a no brainer!

We all feel your frustration Jon. That's why we are all here, we are in the same boat.

But, as others have said, there is nothing to be done but wait... and wait... It seems like an eternity, I know. Believe me, I know. And indeed, Tesla doesn't help much here.

Assuming you are still 100% sold on a Model 3, there's only three things you can do to potentially get the car in early December:
  1. Place an order for a Stealth. It may not be too late, but you gotta do it now. You have the option of still keeping your current order active, then wait and see which gets produced first. But you will have covered your bases and may get a faster car for relatively little more money.
  2. Wait patiently.
  3. See #1 and #2
Personally, as nerve wracking as this period seems, it's very invigorating, at least for me. It's like waiting in an hours long line at Disneyland: the anticipation adds to the enjoyment. As you get closer to the head of the line, the anticipation (and impatience!) grows. Then you get to the head of the line and blast off! And when you are done, you say "wow, that was fun!" having forgotten about the long wait.

So you, Model 3 ownership is JUST LIKE Space Mountain!

We all feel your frustration Jon. That's why we are all here, we are in the same boat.

But, as others have said, there is nothing to be done but wait... and wait... It seems like an eternity, I know. Believe me, I know. And indeed, Tesla doesn't help much here.

Assuming you are still 100% sold on a Model 3, there's only three things you can do to potentially get the car in early December:
  1. Place an order for a Stealth. It may not be too late, but you gotta do it now. You have the option of still keeping your current order active, then wait and see which gets produced first. But you will have covered your bases and may get a faster car for relatively little more money.
  2. Wait patiently.
  3. See #1 and #2
Personally, as nerve wracking as this period seems, it's very invigorating, at least for me. It's like waiting in an hours long line at Disneyland: the anticipation adds to the enjoyment. As you get closer to the head of the line, the anticipation (and impatience!) grows. Then you get to the head of the line and blast off! And when you are done, you say "wow, that was fun!" having forgotten about the long wait.

Except the mouse keeps taking your money every time you want to visit him.. heh.

• Funny
Reactions: skydreamerjae
@jonquiljo,

My goodness...589 posts and you haven’t even taken delivery of the car yet. When you first joined you seemed like you weren’t even sure you wanted a Tesla. Now you’re more impatient than a 12 year old. The car is coming. What’s another couple of weeks?

And more importantly, why haven’t you switched your AWD order to a Stealth before they are all gone? Another $2K for all that power is a no brainer!

I’ve tried to order a stealth but I’ve been told by 2 local sources that even switching to a stealth, I would not be able to take delivery until the 3rd week in December. Even running my order past sales managers has come up with 3rd week in December. There were several hundred available stealth cars yesterday - not yet built - but not until the 3rd week in December.

Impatient as a 12 year old - not really. From my order dates on 10/1 and 10/11 - Tesla has repeatedly said (also in my online account) that it would be either 2 weeks or 2-3 weeks. Only about 10 days ago or so did this actually change. But it has never said on my order anything longer than 2-3 weeks.

I made it clear that my availability in late December was spotty at best. Having been through the Tesla “pick it up right away - or don’t come at all”, I have seen first hand that the late December ridiculousness does not guarantee a car. I figure a Model S - they may hold for more than a day or two.

2. Wait patiently.
  3. See #1 and #2

Thanks for responding in a way that addresses what is going on -not the usual Tesla-macho!

1.) I’d still swap to a stealth. I’d prefer a stealth. But I keep getting told that very few are “on the ground” and that most everything resembling my original car is in pre-production which will get to me 3rd week in December. Most of the stealth do not appear to make anyone get them faster - perhaps slower. So Tesla is BS’ing me, or BSing you.

2.). Id wait until my availability falls apart after the 2nd week in December. According to Tesla reps - I will have to wait until the 3rd.

3.). My question was whether to buy a Model S. I figured that with what looks to be a $110K car, Tesla “might” give me an extra day if picking up in the end of December (i.e. - anything 3rd week or later). So possibly it might be better given my circumstances to order a Model S. The extra cost really is not of issue. I sold my car a while ago, and am tired of being told a line of nonsense from Tesla.

What I’ve been trying to tell people is that Tesla is really playing BS games with US customers. To start, it seems clear that foreign production will continue to the last possible minute. It’s very profitable (and now easy) for Tesla to sell overseas. US orders are clearly on a first come, last served basis. Something changed in Q4, and the priority shifted away from US customers. Yes a few are getting cars - but the bulk are likely waiting for foreign production to end. Why would a stealth be deliverable 3rd week in December?

So I am trying, and am waiting. I don't like being told 2-3 weeks when reality is 2-3 months. Tesla made a decision here. They changed their time commitment but didn’t bother to inform those already waiting - some since September. And we are being forced into a 10 minute appointment - end of year zoo that will leave many people pissed off.

Nothing online. Have got a call into my SA - and will see what happens.

I also need further clarity as to why VINs are being assigned for many people switching to stealth, but I cannot get one until 3rd week in December.

Tezz.la seems inoperable. Perhaps the change to new Tesla back end system has broken it?

The same thing happened to me. I ordered on September 19 but missed the delivery and lost my VIN. I was just told that the second week of December is likely. I have an idea for you however. When they contact you with your new VIN, just make arrangements to buy the car online or via phone if possible. Once you purchase it, it is yours no?

Reactions: skydreamerjae
The same thing happened to me. I ordered on September 19 but missed the delivery and lost my VIN. I was just told that the second week of December is likely. I have an idea for you however. When they contact you with your new VIN, just make arrangements to buy the car online or via phone if possible. Once you purchase it, it is yours no?

You have to show up in person to sign the paperwork, and you have to show your ID to confirm it matches the name on the purchase agreement. And even if you didn’t have to, you would never want to buy a car without first doing a thorough inspection of it anyway.

When did you re-order?

You have to show up in person to sign the paperwork, and you have to show your ID to confirm it matches the name on the purchase agreement. And even if you didn’t have to, you would never want to buy a car without first doing a thorough inspection of it anyway.

What I wonder is if you can have someone (by any means) check out and pick up the vehicle for you? I suspect that it isn't possible. You can probably complete all transactions with Tesla via a proxy (POA, something similar), but I suspect that the DMV wants you to fill out their paperwork directly.

If Tesla would give some notice of cars to be picked up and they held them longer than 2 days max - I wouldn't be so annoyed. Lots of people have busy schedules, and while the "new" delivery appointments are supposedly 15 minutes, you will kill the better part of a day getting there, and waiting amidst the enormous crowds. It may be so overbooked that people show up one day, never get to pick up their car - and are told to come back another day.

See - it has nothing to do with the wait - it's losing the car if you can't get to pick it up quickly. As far as I know, we may get 24 hours to pick up this quarter. That's what I object to.